Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#19089 by RickAnderson
Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:14 am
I have my Ooma hub behind a router with a firewall. I connected to the Home Port a while ago and changed the Ooma Hub to a static IP address.

Since then, my router died, I got a new one (different brand) and set it up.

I tried to connect to my Ooma Hub by connecting to its Home Port with my laptop, but it keeps showing the "Network Cable is Unplugged".

Tried the rebooting of both, disconnecting and reconnecting Ooma to the network, etc. Tried disabling/enabling my Network connection on the laptop, every time it shows the "acquiring network address" and then goes to Network Cable is unplugged. Don't see any lights on the Home Port either.

Only other thing I've done before this, I've pinged the Ooma hub and typed the static IP address into a browser (outside of the Ooma Hub, but behind the firewall, i.e. NOT plugged into the home port.) That couldn't trigger some sort of security thing, would it?
#19091 by niknak
Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:35 am
some things to try

1. power off ooma, power off laptop. plug in known good cable to both, then power up ooma first, then turn on laptop

2. do a factory reset of the hub
Power it off, hold down ooma tab on top
power back on hub while holding down the tab, hold for 30 sec. until all lights stop blinking
hub should now be set back to defaults including default ip address
#19095 by RickAnderson
Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:26 am
Thanks for the reply,

I've already tried #1 several times.

I tried #2, reset the ooma hub, confirmed it by checking the IP, it no longer has the static IP I set in it, it now has the next sequential dynamic IP address from my router/firewall. I disabled the firewall software on my laptop as well.

Still no joy, once again I connected my laptop to my router with the same cable I have been using, and again the cable confirmed good. When I plug into the Home Port of the now reset Ooma Hub, it still shows the "Network Cable is Unplugged". I do NOT even get connection or traffic lights at the ports of either the laptop or the Ooma Home Port, NOR did I before the reset.

I'm really starting to think somehow the Home Port fried on my Ooma, has there been any reports of this? BUT, nothing has been plugged into that port since I re-configured it for Static IP and it worked fine then with the same laptop. I'm going to try to plug the Ooma into my desktop and see how that works.

EDIT:
Now I feel like a fool, just moved the Ooma over to my Desktop computer and hooked it up there, worked right away and was able to configure everything. No idea why the Ooma turned its nose up at my laptop, considering how old the laptop is, likely the problem is with the laptop. Everything copacetic now that I've reconfigured Ooma with my desktop.
#19110 by niknak
Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:20 pm
...cable confirmed good. When I plug into the Home Port of the now reset Ooma Hub, it still shows the "Network Cable is Unplugged

That message is coming from the OS on the computer, not ooma
#19112 by southsound
Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:25 pm
Rick,

Now that things are working I think you are overdue for our usual Welcome to ooma and to the forums. Lots of great people here like niknak and others who can help you solve almost any problem. Pull up a chair, grab a mason jar of sweet tea, and make yourself at home! You're going to like it here. :cool:

RickAnderson wrote: Now I feel like a fool, just moved the Ooma over to my Desktop computer and hooked it up there, worked right away and was able to configure everything.

Nah. Around here we save that feeling for when a person accidentally bumps the little brightness wheel on the right side of the hub. Technical problems are always OK.