Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#15495 by inspectorgene
Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:00 am
I am trying out ooma with a temporary number, had a few problems at first, but all seems to be well now.

I have one incoming line with DSL and phone associated. An ATT tech separated the voice from data at the exterior, so that may be a little weird when finalizing everything...

I have had lots of problems when calling ATT about ANYTHING, so I am hesitant to start the porting process.

I also want to disconnect phone service and dry loop the DSL.

I have read to call ATT first, some say to initiate the porting with ooma first.

Any advice appreciated.
Last edited by inspectorgene on Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
#15501 by StigMX5
Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:30 am
I initated the port though ooma and never said anything to ATT. I had the ooma temporary number until the port completed.

It was done when promised and with no issues. After the port completed, I did have to power off the hub for about 70 second and power it back on to solve the problem where my calls to my ATT number would go directly to the ooma voicemail and not ring the house.

I have cable, not DSL so your mileage may vary.
#15550 by tommies
Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:34 pm
I have att land line + dsl. My experience with att was pretty good--except that they mess up and forgot to send me my bill/statement, and force me to call in and pay over the phone on the due date.

I would suggest that you call att and let the rep know exactly what you want to do, that is

* keep the DSL service, hence dry loop dsl
* keep the number to port it out to other carrier.
* no cancel of any services.

In my case, the rep was very helpful and probably done it before. She transferred me to a tech rep who would get it done. The tech rep told me she would do two things:

1. put my dsl on a new accout, ie a new phone number for dsl service
2. create a dummy account to hold my current number to keep it until the porting process is completed.

the phone account will be cancel when the porting complete.

The call last appox. 20-25 min including waiting on hold.

It takes 10-11 days to complete the dry loop: my phone went dead but dsl continue without interruption.

For att dsl, it's better to have the dry loop done before the porting happens.

Don't forget to follow up with att for the final bill/statement.

YMMV and good luck
#15629 by Gaelic1
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:06 am
I called AT&T and asked to dry loop my DSL and to drop my landline. I had a number already from Ooma. Well AT&T dropped everything for two days and then my DSL was working but very slowly. I called again, and after three hours on the phone, first to India, and then to the Philippines, they finally got my DSL over to a dry loop and had me re register my DSL. That took another 30 minutes but they walked me through the whole process. The charge for DSL is an extra $10 if you drop your landline and I don't mind. At least now, the telemarketers no longer have my number. I actually save $5 per month but I have caller ID and Call Waiting as an extra benefit. It was well worth the effort to me.