Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#14099 by beegee
Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:31 pm
Hi,

Just finished hooking up my first Ooma Hub and, thus far, I am reasonably pleased with the results.

I say reasonably because I would prefer to use a shielded CAT5e cable to connect between my RJ45 wall jack and the Ooma Hub (modem), and then a second shielded CAT5e cable between the Ooma Hub (home) and my PC's Ethernet RJ45.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that the Ooma Hub refuses to work with the shielded CAT5e cables - in short, my Ooma Hub will ONLY work with the Ooma Ethernet Cable.

Why won't the Ooma Hub work with a high quality shielded CAT5e cable, that is rated at 350MHz/1Gbps???

Thanks in advance for your comments.

BG
#14102 by but2002
Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:22 pm
It works with my standard Ethernet cables, but I don't know if what CAT5e is. I also do not know how it will work with Crossover cables. But it does work with any standard Ethernet cable I have had lying around.
#14107 by grathke
Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:08 pm
Not exactly the same, I just finished wiring some extensions with CAT5e in the walls. Works for me.

Glenn


beegee wrote:Hi,

Just finished hooking up my first Ooma Hub and, thus far, I am reasonably pleased with the results.

I say reasonably because I would prefer to use a shielded CAT5e cable to connect between my RJ45 wall jack and the Ooma Hub (modem), and then a second shielded CAT5e cable between the Ooma Hub (home) and my PC's Ethernet RJ45.

Unfortunately, I have discovered that the Ooma Hub refuses to work with the shielded CAT5e cables - in short, my Ooma Hub will ONLY work with the Ooma Ethernet Cable.

Why won't the Ooma Hub work with a high quality shielded CAT5e cable, that is rated at 350MHz/1Gbps???

Thanks in advance for your comments.

BG
#14111 by beegee
Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:02 pm
grathke wrote:Not exactly the same, I just finished wiring some extensions with CAT5e in the walls. Works for me.

Glenn


Hello, Glenn, and thanks for your reply.

When you say, "Not exactly the same," are you simply saying that the CAT5e cable is not "exactly" the same as the Ooma Ethernet Cable, or are you saying a Crossover cable is not the same?

My money is on the Crossover cable.

Thanks again,

BG
Last edited by beegee on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#14113 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:23 pm
I have a Cat5e cable between my ooma hub and router... I didn't even use the one supplied with the ooma core system. Could it be that the cable that you are using is a "crossover" cable and not a "straight through" cable? Look at the ends of the cable in question and look at the left side of the plugs with the clip tab down; both plugs at the end of the cable should either start with an orange/white orange pair or a green/white green pair but they should be consistent.
#14116 by beegee
Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:34 pm
Aveamantium wrote:I have a Cat5e cable between my ooma hub and router... I didn't even use the one supplied with the ooma core system. Could it be that the cable that you are using is a "crossover" cable and not a "straight through" cable? Look at the ends of the cable in question and look at the left side of the plugs with the clip tab down; both plugs at the end of the cable should either start with an orange/white orange pair or a green/white green pair but they should be consistent.


Thanks for your reply, Aveamantium.

I checked, both are the same, an orange/white orange pair.

Problem remains.

Thanks again,

BG
#14119 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:46 pm
beegee wrote:Unfortunately, I have discovered that the Ooma Hub refuses to work with the shielded CAT5e cables - in short, my Ooma Hub will ONLY work with the Ooma Ethernet Cable.
BG

By the way, which doesn't work (router to ooma or ooma to PC)?
#14121 by beegee
Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:58 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Hmmm... You don't happen to have another cable you could test do you? Grasping at straws here I know...

No, and I wish I did.

Aveamantium wrote:
beegee wrote:Unfortunately, I have discovered that the Ooma Hub refuses to work with the shielded CAT5e cables - in short, my Ooma Hub will ONLY work with the Ooma Ethernet Cable.
BG

By the way, which doesn't work (router to ooma or ooma to PC)?


The CAT5 works fine Ooma to PC, but does NOT work router (via an RJ45 wall jack) to Ooma.

I don't know if its relevant, but the CAT5 is twisted pairs - and (as you know) the Ooma Ethernet cable is flat and not twisted pairs. Over time, since it is not twisted pairs, I would think that the Ooma cable would develop capacitive and or inductive reactance problems.

BG
Last edited by beegee on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#14122 by but2002
Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:01 pm
Um.. The Wall jack doesn't go to to the computer. the Ooma's HOME port goes to the computer (Or modem) the "Modem" port goes into either the modem or the router depending on your configuration.

The wall jack telephone jack goes into the wall

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests