Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#14042 by jimc28352
Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:57 pm
Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) — Your system REPLIED to our Ping (ICMP Echo) requests, making it visible on the Internet. Most personal firewalls can be configured to block, drop, and ignore such ping requests in order to better hide systems from hackers. This is highly recommended since "Ping" is among the oldest and most common methods used to locate systems prior to further exploitation.

Any way to fix this?

Thanks, Jim
#14043 by murphy
Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:14 pm
Put the hub behind your router.
#14051 by bw1
Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:08 pm
Put your router after the hub and put the IP address assigned to the router into the DMZ of the hub and have all your computers connected to the router.
#14064 by murphy
Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:28 am
scoutconnor wrote:
murphy wrote:Put the hub behind your router.

yes, but that would make the QoS settings ineffective

In that configuration, the QOS settings are done in the router. With nothing connected to the Home port of the hub, there is no need for the hub QOS settings. Mine are both set to 0, which means disabled.
#14066 by lohertz
Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:16 am
murphy wrote:In that configuration, the QOS settings are done in the router. With nothing connected to the Home port of the hub, there is no need for the hub QOS settings. Mine are both set to 0, which means disabled.

Yup :)
#14070 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:11 am
I noticed this as well in my network, but since it is the ooma hub that is responding to the ping requests then I'm not to worried about it. My entire network is behind another router running Tomato firmware so only the ooma should be discoverable on the internet.

However, this would be a good suggestion for the developers (should be pretty easy to update the code to ignore ping requests). As far as I know, there is no reason that the ooma should respond ping requests.
#14071 by murphy
Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:43 am
This is one of the reasons to place the hub behind the router. The hub is missing many of the security features that are standard in today's routers.
#14073 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:12 am
That is originally how I had it (ooma behind the router) but I love the conditional Qos that the ooma provides (only shapes traffic during a phone call). With Tomato, I had to set my upload and download speeds in Qos to my average low bandwidth tests in order to get a "clean" call, which is hard to do since my speeds vary greatly (1.0Mbps to 3.0Mbps depending on the time of day).
#14076 by scoutconnor
Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:23 am
Ah, my router ( the La Fonera+) does not have QoS built in so the only QoS available are within the hub. I had forgotten about some routers have QoS built in.