Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#14021 by arec
Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:46 am
Hi! I need help with this - I am new to Ooma. My number was just ported and my landline was just disconnected.

Now, whenever the phone rings, as well as when the phone is in use, the internet disconnects and I can't use it on the computer. So I can't use the internet and the phone at the same time. This happens even if I don't answer the phone - whenever it rings the internet disconnects and then connects again after the phone stops ringing. When I am on the phone I can't use the internet at all.

This is a HUGE problem for me since I work from home and need to be able to have 1) reliable internet that does not disconnect, even momentarily and 2) ability to talk on phone and use internet at the same time.

I am waiting for a call back from Ooma customer service but was hoping I could get some help here because a lot of the people on the forum sound more knowledgeable than customer service!
Thanks for your help!
#14022 by atici
Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:50 am
Ok take it easy. It should be sth. simple.

Do you use a router? If you do, did you try moving ooma behind the router:
modem -> router -> ooma

Also do you have dsl or cable? If it's dsl are you sure your phone is not connected in any way to interfere with dsl internet signals. If you use a scout, for test purposes disconnect scout and use hub only and let your phone connect to your ooma hub directly (not to the wall).

Some other relevant posts:
http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1652&p=10045&hilit=+internet+disconnect#p10045
http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1892&p=12950&hilit=internet+disconnect#p12950
#14023 by southsound
Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:00 am
Another question is what type of phone you are using and do you use a wireless connection for your computer? The reason I ask is that many of the cordless phones in use today are 2.4ghz phones or even 5.8ghz phones that use 2.4ghz for signaling. Wireless B and G also use 2.4ghz for communication - and even Wireless N routers have legacy support so they are affected by the phones.

If you are using a cordless phone, try disconnecting it from the power and the back of the hub. Try using a corded phone instead and see of the problem disappears. My primary ooma phone is a DECT 6.0 Uniden because the DECT 6.0 specification uses 1.9ghz and does not interfere with WiFi. But I sometimes use a Plantronics wireless headset that is a real brute. When my son was visiting recently he told me that whenever I used the headset it knocked him off the Internet. In my office, I use a wired connection for my laptop for that very reason.

Let us know the results and welcome to ooma!
#14024 by WayneDsr
Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:02 am
Also, make sure you are not using an older cordless phone with a wireless router. If you are, try hooking up a wired phone and power down your cordless phone and check.
Dect 6 phones are the only ones the seem not to mess with wireless.

Wayne

EDIT: Ok, you beat me again Southsound. Must be the Starbucks kicking in! :-)
#14027 by arec
Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:29 am
Wow, thank you so much everyone for your help.
I am not quite as technical as you guys so talk to me like I don't know anything and maybe I'll understand...

Here is my setup:

I have cable internet (Time Warner Cable) and I have it set up with a wireless router. There is no computer attached to the modem, everything is through the wireless router.

My phone is a corded/cordless combination. The corded phone is plugged into the ooma (phone port) and the cordless counterpart is just plugged into the electrical outlet in the wall, no phone jack necessary since it works as long as the corded phone is plugged into an electrical outlet in the wall as well. Right now I am not using any scouts.

This is how ooma is hooked up:
Home port is connected to the router
Modem port is connected to the modem
Phone port is connected to the corded phone

The phone is 2.4 GHz, so is it possible that that is what is causing the entire problem? If so, what do I need to know about buying a new phone that will be compatible?

Thanks again, I really appreciate the support.
#14028 by atici
Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:34 am
Yes, it is extremely likely your phone is messing with the wireless signal of your router. It's surprising you didn't run into this problem before. Maybe your router was far away from your cordless telephone.

You can just press "talk" on your cordless handset (even when ooma has no power and router connects directly to modem) and observe your internet connectivity. Alternatively try connecting your computer via a wire to the router to confirm (then when your phone rings through ooma, you should still be connected which would indicate your phone is the culprit).

DECT 6.0 phones operate at a frequency range (1.9Ghz) different than wireless routers/microwave and they are digital. Therefore they are immune to such interference issues and have better range.

A good DECT 6.0 phone I'd recommend is the following:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Cordless-Answering-ChoiceMail-KX-TG7432B/dp/B001P80ERA/
It also has 3 and 4 handset models.
#14029 by southsound
Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:56 am
Seems like you have found the problem! I'm glad is was fairly easy.

There are a lot of DECT 6.0 phones out there but from reports on this forum, two brands seem to stand out as being reliable and cost effective. Those brands are Panasonic and Uniden. I personally have the Uniden 1588 that I bought from Costco. They have a two handset model for about $40 and a 5 handset model for just over $110. They also have a nice selection of Panasonic models at my local warehouse. Most will come with an answering machine function. I leave mine turned off and use ooma's voice mail.

Now that you know about the nice folks on the forum, feel free to visit often and share your experiences. You have to get up early and have a lot of coffee to beat WayneDSR to an answer, but once in a while you get lucky. Super folks, great help, a wonderful community. And we thought we were just buying free phone service! :cool:
#14030 by atici
Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:59 am
In fact it occurred to me, I am 100% sure the phone causes the problem now :) Because when your ooma rings you mention you can talk through ooma (and since ooma uses the internet through the wired connection you actually have internet). It's just your wireless internet is gone because phone's signals interfere with it.
#14035 by StevenJohn
Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:50 pm
arec,

You mentioned you had a corded phone on the hub. Can you talk on the ooma corded phone and surf the web at the same time? That should work well if the 2.4GHz phones are causing the problem.

I agree with the others here. It sounds like the 2.4GHz phone is your problem. I have the Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones and I love them on ooma.

sj
#14036 by arec
Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:14 pm
I haven't tried talking on the corded phone while on the internet but the internet stops when the phone rings, even if I don't answer it.

But were you saying that if the phone is the problem the internet should work with the corded phone or not? I can try it.

Thanks