Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#13857 by grathke
Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:24 am
I've got what appears to be a funny situation, at least to me.

I'm using a wireless phone and evertyhing is working well. At this point I don't have anything connected to the house phone line wiring.

I thought I'd see if i could use my DirecTV box to display caller ID. If I connect the phone port of ooma to the house wiring and do a dial tone test with the DTV box, I don't get a connection. However, if I use the wall port of ooma and Scouts connected to the house wiring, it works fine.

I'm certainly fine with this, but was wondering why? What am I missing ?

Thanks
Glenn
#13858 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:43 am
Wall port is for integrated landline, and Hub to Scout communication. The Hub to Scout communication uses HPNA which can cause tons of problems for DSL and other devices unless you use DSL filters appropriately. You should not connect any phones or phone based devices to the Wall port if you are using Ooma, and are not using filters appropriately.

The Phone port is where you are support to connect anything that expects a dial tone.

Scott
#13860 by WayneDsr
Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:00 am
My question would be, does your DTV actually hear a dial tone or does it think it hears one? The hpna signal on the line could be fooling the DTV.
If you plug a phone into the wall output on the hub, you do not get a dial tone.

Connecting the PHONE port of the hub to the wall jack should get you dial tone on all wall jacks barring any wiring issues. Connect this way and check WITH A PHONE.

Wayne
#13862 by grathke
Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:34 am
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

In this situation, I've got the phone port of the hub run to a splitter that feeds a single phone and the house wiring. No scouts in use at all. With this setup, my phone works fine. However the DTV box does not detect a dial tone or caller id in bound.

However, with this setup, the phone port of the hub only connected to the single phone, and the wall port of the hub connected to the house wiring, and the DTV box connected to the Scout, a dialtone is detected. Granted this may be the hpna fooling the DTV box, BUT with an inbound call, the caller id is displayed on the TV.

Glenn
#13865 by WayneDsr
Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:58 am
Ok, I must have mis read your OP.
You are connecting your DTV to the phone port on the Scout.
That will work, although I believe it is recommended to connect to the phone port of the hub.

Are you using the DTV line for updating or just caller ID?

If you are using the line to update DTV, is it calling out ok?

Wayne
#13867 by grathke
Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:47 am
Hi,

I think the DTV updates are done through the sat feed, not the phone line. I've got the DTV boxes connected to the internet for on demand.

I'm only using ooma for caller id which I'm only implementing for testing and to see how well ooma works in various connections. BTW, I've been able to fax without any proboem using the prefis of ,*99,,

Thanks for all the help
Glenn