Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#13772 by socoast
Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:38 pm
I've had the same phone number for about 15 years, and when I got my ooma, I had the number ported.
I had the number registered on the Federal Do Not Call list and rarely got a spam phone call.
I'm now getting several spam calls per day.

My question, is an ooma number somehow exempt from the Federal Do Not Call list?

If not, why all of a sudden am I getting these calls?

thanks,
#13783 by murphy
Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:59 am
Verify the registration of the number. Your old phone company may have notified the list that it had been disconnected which would remove it from the list.

http://www.donotcall.gov
#13786 by bw1
Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:19 am
As an FYI, I did the same as you and have not seen any increase in telemarketer calls. I did verify that my number was still on the Do Not Call list after it was ported.

Also, my 2nd Ooma assigned number has not received any calls on it and I did not register that number with the Do Not Call list.
#13848 by Opal
Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:14 am
I have a couple of theories on this...

Originally, when we registered our phone numbers with donotcall.gov, the registration expired after 5 years and we had to re-register. There was a lapse of time between some registrations expiring, and the newer law that said registration shall never expire. Perhaps you lapsed during that time and the ooma purchase is coincidental?

My other thought is that donotcall.gov will remove numbers from its list that have been disconnected and are reassigned to new customers. Perhaps your old phone company sent the wrong code/message to donotcall.gov, and your number was removed from their registration list when you ported to ooma.
#13854 by socoast
Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:06 am
I checked, and the numbers are still listed on the Do Not Call list.
I filed a complaint for each of the phone calls.
Since Ooma logs the number, the date and time, it's easy.
I also added the numbers to my BlackList.

I'll see if I get more spam calls from other numbers.

It's possible that I was getting spam calls from these two numbers all along on my original landline, but since I didn't have a call log, I just didn't notice - they don't leave a message when they get the voicemail, they just disconnect.

thanks!
#13856 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:19 am
I observed a massive spike in telemarketing calls immediately after my number ported. I suspect Opal's theory is right. The ILEC indicated the number was returned to an open pool, and Ooma marked it as a new service so we're open to be solicited.

I am going to update my DNC information right now! Good thinking Opal!

Scott
#13907 by StevenJohn
Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:30 am
I think there are a lot more "telemarketers" that are not going by the rules since the downturn of the economy. I have noticed an increase of spoofed caller ID.

sj