Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#13471 by Gaelic1
Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:32 pm
I have Ooma setup and running well. I intend to delete AT&T landline service after having them split off my DSL service. Once this is done, will I then have the caller ID feature as well as the other advertised features? I like my Ooma number and will be happy to delete my old number. Is there something I should know before doing all this???
Thanks
#13474 by southsound
Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:48 pm
Gaelic1 wrote:Is there something I should know before doing all this???
Thanks

Yes. You will have to get used to not having the thick telco bill to which you have become accustomed. But the good news is that there is a support group for people suffering from telco bill withdrawal. It meets here every day and is called the ooma forums!

Welcome to ooma. You're going to like it here! :cool:
#13493 by bw1
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:45 am
If you're not porting your old number, there's nothing else to do but let everyone know your new number and, like southsound says, enjoy no more phone bills.

A couple of things to note:
It may take a few weeks for your outgoing caller id to get updated in all of the databases.

You'll get incoming caller id, call waiting and voicemail included in the core system. https://www.ooma.com/learn/ooma_features.php

You'll need to subscribe to ooma Premier if you want the additional benefits. See here:
https://www.ooma.com/learn/ooma_premier.php
#13497 by scottlindner
Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 am
If you are happy with your Ooma number, then you do not need to split off your DSL service. Just terminate your landline.

If you have integrated your landline with your Ooma service, you'll need to contact Ooma support first to have them remove the landline integration before terminating your landline.

Scott
#13498 by niknak
Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:39 am
As Scott mentions, all you need to do is cancel your number, but remeber you still need DSL so you will have to order a 'dry loop" DSL line or go to cable ISP
#13513 by WayneDsr
Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:49 am
I did the same thing with AT&T. I called to cancel the phone portion of my connection and dry loop the dsl. They told me the DSL portion would go up $10 a month.
They gave me a basic landline connection for what the DSL alone would cost.
I use it for backup in case my network connection goes down.

Hopefully you'll get the dsl cheaper with dryloop. Let me know.

Wayne
#13523 by Gaelic1
Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:44 am
WayneDsr wrote:I did the same thing with AT&T. I called to cancel the phone portion of my connection and dry loop the dsl. They told me the DSL portion would go up $10 a month.
They gave me a basic landline connection for what the DSL alone would cost.
I use it for backup in case my network connection goes down.

Hopefully you'll get the dsl cheaper with dryloop. Let me know.

Wayne

This is okay but in order to get caller ID, I'd have to get it through AT&T unless I drop them all together. I will use my cell p[hone for backup.
#13551 by bw1
Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:15 am
Gaelic1 wrote:This is okay but in order to get caller ID, I'd have to get it through AT&T unless I drop them all together. I will use my cell p[hone for backup.

I'm confused now. You said that you were getting rid of AT&T. If you port your number from AT&T to ooma, then the caller id that was assigned to that number will go with it. This is what I did and how it worked for me.

If you don't port your number, the number that you selected when you activated along with the name you entered for the account is what will show up for your outgoing caller id.

You can test this now by using ooma to call your AT&T landline assuming you have caller id with your AT&T service.
#13558 by WayneDsr
Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:46 am
Little confused myself, but that's normal for me.
If you go dry loop you won't have any AT&T phone service at all.

If they let you keep the phone for minimal cost, you don't need caller ID. Put the phone on basic service and don't connect it to a phone. Connect ooma to a wall jack via WALL on the hub and when your network or ooma goes down, you'll hear the sound of a regular dialtone, it will be your old landline taking over.
Other than that it will be invisible.

Wayne
#13559 by atici
Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:57 am
I strongly suggest you follow what you have in mind. If you don't port your number and get a brand new ooma number then you won't receive any more calls from the pesky scammers. Somehow they don't even know you exist. I love this feature. Probably AT&T etc sells your number to make a profit.

This is okay but in order to get caller ID, I'd have to get it through AT&T unless I drop them all together. I will use my cell p[hone for backup.

This part I don't understand what you mean. You will see the ID of callers and others will also see yours if you drop AT&T phone service. Ooma has that built in.