Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#733 by hoj
Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:34 pm
trim81 wrote:To each his own- but for me, a 20+ year number is hard to pass on.

Heres what you should do... (what I would do)

Go to walmart. Buy yourself an ATT Go Phone (prepaid) or T-Mobile prepaid phone... it only costs like $10-$15

Go home, call ATT or T-Mobile and port the number over.

After that, initiate the port with Ooma.

--It will only cost you $15 bucks or so...and its worth a shot saving a long time number.

This is my humble opinion however.

I may try something like that after a bit when I am ready to give it up if it doesn't work. Actually, I have an extra ATT phone that I can add back on my plan for a month without contract. I'm thinking that there may be an activation fee plus their porting fee, but I might try it. Thanks for your suggestions.
#734 by trim81
Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:38 pm
To the best of my knowledge, getting a phone added to your POST-PAID account is not the way to go because they will charge a one time activation charge of $25.

Prepaid is only $10-$15 straight up and requires no activation charges.

Oh also, Porting with cell carriers is always free. never any cost to port from cell carriers.

Go pre paid.
#92481 by bonky
Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:46 pm
Guess a lot has changed in a few years where it was FREE in 2008-2009 now we are looking at $5 PER MONTH or $60 a year. Ridiculous how Washington gets a grip on anything they can squeeze. Ooma also charges a 911 fee of $1.99 per month to recover their costs (what these costs are we may never know but I guess every CEO needs a private plane)... all leeches everywhere you go!!! :(