Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#13053 by chip
Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:01 am
Just bought an OOMA and love it! I'm porting my number from Verizon. Once the port is complete, does Verizon automatically cancel my old service or do I have to call and cancel it myself?
#13055 by southsound
Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:20 am
When the port is complete the service is automatically cancelled. Make sure you don't cancel it yourself before the port is done or you will lose your number.

Welcome to ooma. You're going to like it here!
#13251 by Sublime
Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:41 pm
When I ported my number, Verizon automatically cancelled my service but Sprint long distance did not and they sent me their own bill. So be sure to cancel your long distance carrier after your number is ported.
#13943 by Opal
Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:18 am
chip,

Just curious... How's the porting from Verizon going?

I have Verizon DSL and had their landline, and ported to Vonage in late 2006... It took nearly 4 months because no one knew what they were doing or how to do it. I've been reading the Forum and it appears to me that after all these years with VOIPs becoming ever more popular, the landline providers are still playing dumb.

All I know is that I am very grateful that my DSL is dry loop now and that my ooma purchase/setup went very smoothly!
#26598 by chip
Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:27 am
Opal,

Sorry for the very late reply but having been following the forums recently. My porting experience with Verizon was fine. No issues and happened pretty quickly as I recall (under a couple of weeks). Verizon automatically canceled my account so I didn't even need to call them.
#26817 by jazzyone
Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:02 pm
After I successfully ported my phone number from Verizon I called to cancel my line. When I called the toll free number to cancel my service, the auto-attendant eventually directed me to a line that kept on hanging up on me after about 2 minutes. I tried about 5 times over two days using the ooma phone and cellphone, but the same thing kept happening.

Long story short, I finally got a number via online chat and called the Repair Department. They verified that my service was already cancel.

The line to the department which is suppose to handle service terminations goes to a dead line. :D That's pretty funny. I guess they don't want you to cancel anything!