Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#11321 by pics4hire
Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:04 pm
Is there a way to use ooma with satellite internet service? We have a lake house in the country and no broadband or DSL is available. Think I read somewhere that satellite internet will not work with ooma...is this correct?
#11322 by doug
Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:15 pm
pics4hire wrote:Is there a way to use ooma with satellite internet service?

Satellite service has very high latency due to the distance it has to travel, so it would not be well suited to VoIP. My guess is that you would not be happy with it at all.
#11334 by scottlindner
Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:38 am
Can you try this test site with the satellite service and post the results? You may want to try it a couple of times at different times of the day to see if there are times service is better than others.
http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

This is becoming a fairly common tool to help identify Internet service issues.

I agree that it's unlikely it will work, but if that tests produces good results, then it'll work.

Cheers,
Scott
#11340 by niknak
Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:25 am
The problem with satellite is that even if you happen to have good speed/ latency it can change depending upon the weather (snow and rain interfere with satellite reception) or the season (foliage in summer can interfere).
You will have to ask yourself how important is dependable phone service
after running the tests Scott suggests
#11356 by lohertz
Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:48 am
Has anyone had experience with WiMax or other wireless connectivity? Satellite wouldn't work because of the slower upload speeds and latency issues.