Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#9711 by t4feb
Fri May 15, 2009 4:25 am
Well I am on that list of thinking you can get something for little or nothing and the only reason I am posting this is in case some one makes the same mistake. Think before you jump out to get a great deal and try to turn it over for a little profit. I'm sure we all could use a few extra bucks in our pockets during these tough times we are living in. I bought 2 ooma units at a reduced price off of Ebay to turn around and setup up for costumers only to find out they both were already registered to some one else and once that happens there is nothing you can do about it except hope you can get your money back from the people who sold it to you. In this case I was very very lucky to get full refunds back and bought other units from resellers of ooma and all is good on the home front and yes I'm a few dollars shy in my pocket but the costumers are all happy.
#9712 by bw1
Fri May 15, 2009 4:29 am
Glad you got your money back and everything worked out in the end.

But, does this mean that once a hub is activated it cannot be sold as used and re-activated by someone else. I remember reading otherwise.
#9713 by bw1
Fri May 15, 2009 4:35 am
Ok, here it is:

http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1310&p=7715#p7715

2 posts, one by Bobby B and the other by Dennis P (ooma employees):

Bobby B wrote:Also today, you can transfer ownership of an existing ooma System to another person only if you call customer support. So if you were to sell your ooma System to another person, you'd just need to get their contact information and give it to the support team to "release" your ownership. The main reason we have this process is to protect against theft of the device.

Dennis P wrote:Just to be clear, there IS a re-activation fee if you transfer your box to someone else. IIRC, it's currently around $20 and covers the costs of handling the transfer (very manual process today), allocating a new phone number, updating caller name records, etc.
#9714 by t4feb
Fri May 15, 2009 4:53 am
The one person I contacted told me that he was on the phone with support for more than an hour trying to have them transfer the unit to me and that they told him it could not be done. I'm only going by what the seller of the one unit told me. When I tried to register one of the units and it came up unit is already registered contact support I got on the phone and contacted support and that's when they told me that the unit was registered to a Mike and there was nothing they could do and told me to send the unit back to who ever I bought it from. Never the less I only posted this to let others know to be careful.
#9731 by WayneDsr
Fri May 15, 2009 10:10 am
Great, I was worried you wouldn't get your money back.

You cannot transfer ownership of a hub if you don't know the owner!

If I sell you my hub, I would cancel my account and it would be transferred to you. Without consent of the owner you're out of luck.

Wayne
#9732 by t4feb
Fri May 15, 2009 10:27 am
Yes I got lucky on both of the units and did get my money back. I guess its called live and learn. Won't make that mistake again.