Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#110920 by MapleOne
Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:02 am
I have obviously cut the cord with my phone company and gone with Ooma.

But I have also cut my cable TV cord and gone to free over the air.

I was going to switch internet companies to a company called Teksavvy which gives unlimited for a reasonable price. My cable company Rogers offered me 30% off to stay with internet for one year. I went for that but still dropped the TV.

Amazing HD clarity with over the air and now I just pay Ooma and Internet.

So sweet, my bill used to be $140 per month now down to $75 with unlimited internet and Ooma Premier.
If the darn cable company (rogers) would just be fair and maintain my internet pricing past one year then I would be done and a happy camper.

So now I just have to prepare and get new equipment to switch internet providers after 1 year and then I am done forever.

Thank you Ooma for making the phone change the easiest part.

So back to the original question....

Has anyone else dropped cable TV?
#110925 by Tuan
Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:12 am
I dropped cableTV a while ago. My first voip was with Sunrocket, but they went belly up. Sound quality was horrible. That made me nervous going with another voip. But then I saw Ooma Telo at Costco and decided to try it out again. I used it at home for a little more than a year to get a feel of how good it is. After a while, I was convinced that it was the best voip, so I decided to buy one for my Mom and convinced my 2 brothers to cut their cords and switched to Ooma as well.

The quality was so great, I was brave enough to cut my business phone lines and switched to Ooma. I even went a step further and purchased the Ooma Office.

For TV, I use OTA, Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other free online services like Hulu and Crackle. My brother uses an android mini pc for TV as well, but I don't have that.
#110927 by MapleOne
Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:26 am
I ditched everything and hooked a laptop via hdmi to my TV. I use Hoola to get around regional restrictions so now I get American Netflix and Hulu in Canada. Canadian Netflix sucks and we cannot get Hulu period.

I find all boxes, roku etc are all restrictive and a laptop allows me to do anything I want.

In my humble opinion the future of TV is a laptop connected to a TV with a great internet connection.
#111090 by mike_b
Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:42 am
We cut the cable about three years ago. The cost kept increasing and the quality of the programming kept decreasing. I installed a $30.00 antenna to receive OTA TV broadcasts and bought a $99.00 Roku for streaming online shows. We tried Netflix for a while, but cancelled it because we didn't really watch it enough to justify the $8.00 per month. With the combination of the antenna and the Roku we have more than enough TV entertainment for $0.00 per month.
#111091 by MapleOne
Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:55 am
mike_b wrote:We cut the cable about three years ago. The cost kept increasing and the quality of the programming kept decreasing. I installed a $30.00 antenna to receive OTA TV broadcasts and bought a $99.00 Roku for streaming online shows. We tried Netflix for a while, but cancelled it because we didn't really watch it enough to justify the $8.00 per month. With the combination of the antenna and the Roku we have more than enough TV entertainment for $0.00 per month.

I had a Roku but found it limited as well. You cannot bypass regional restrictions and in the end Roku decides which channels you can have. I found that hooking up a laptop gave me the most freedom. Now I can do truly decide what to watch. Believe me, once you see things like project free tv you will never go back.
#111092 by mike_b
Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:48 am
MapleOne wrote:I had a Roku but found it limited as well. You cannot bypass regional restrictions and in the end Roku decides which channels you can have. I found that hooking up a laptop gave me the most freedom. Now I can do truly decide what to watch. Believe me, once you see things like project free tv you will never go back.

I tried Project Free TV on the Roku via PlayOn a while back. Sometimes the shows would play and sometimes they would just buffer. I can understand the Roku regional restrictions can be a pain if you are outside the US. I greatly increased the content availability by using PlayOn with Roku. For example, with PlayOn I can watch Hulu channels on my TV without subscribing to Hulu Plus. PlayOn also has their own selection of channels. We watch a very limited amount of TV compared to most folks, so the antenna and Roku are certainly enough to keep us entertained. And one of our requirements is to watch TV by only using a remote control, just like we always have.

I stayed at a hotel recently which had cable TV. I turned it on to see what I have been missing over the past three years. The content had actually gotten worse. On one of the regular cable channels, not a paid channel, a girl was describing what it was like the first time she had sex, in quite a bit of detail. I'm very happy that I have not paid a cable TV bill and contributed to what I saw on the TV.
#111109 by GMOOMA
Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:02 pm
If you still MISS paid cable-tv channels.. the software called XBMC and a plug-in called navi-xtreme (apparently endorsed scripting that comes from GOOGLE see site: https://code.google.com/hosting/) can void that void. While not completely reliable, can fill in the TEMPORARY need to stream content like CNN, and other catv channels. Sometimes, the streams list is SLOW to load, or doesn't load at all and hangs, but when it DOES work-- it's a beautiful thing. I won't link to xbmc and navi-xtreme but you can do your own search and yield results.

Personally, I find my life less filled with tv viewing anyway... it's probably good to cut down on these things as we age.. cable-tv and high fructose corn syrup are two things I've cut back on which help me find inner peace.