Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#110305 by cpraber
Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 am
It seems this issue has plagued ooma users from the get go, but thought we'd try one more time.

We purchased ooma with the idea we could have a low cost phone in our cottage. The primary/only use we have for a phone in the cottage to use our freeze alarm. This nifty device allows us to monitor temperature and call in to set the thermostat. Unfortunately we have not been successful making this work with ooma. The device uses DTMF codes to navigate menus and it just doesn’t work with ooma’s quirky treatment of inbound DTMF. The tones sound “chopped up”/stuttered/screechy. It’s like the ooma software is trying to do something with the tones as they pass through. WHY? :x

About to rip this POS out of the cottage and throw it in the woods unless we can make it work!

Seriously, any guidance or suggestions are very welcome. :)

TIA.
#110322 by holmes4
Mon May 27, 2013 3:47 pm
It's possible that your network service at the cottage is bad enough that packets are being dropped. For voice you might not notice so much but DTMF tones might be problematic. VoIP systems are primarily "tuned" for voice and not for data or other non-voice signals.

I'm sure there will be other comments/suggestions.
#110333 by cpraber
Tue May 28, 2013 10:00 am
Well, it seems to work fine for everything else. Voice quality is fine and internet speeds are good. I have not measured to know what bit rates we are achieving but the user experience (other than DTMF tones) is good!
#110334 by Tuan
Tue May 28, 2013 10:36 am
I'm curious if the Office would work in this situation. Since the Office has the Virtual Receptionist to receive calls and waits for prompts, I wonder if it's waiting on DTMF tones to route these calls or in your case access a thermostat menu to control/monitor temperatures. I have the Office, but don't have such thermostat device you described to run a test for you.

Do you have Premier service? If so, try turning on the fax redundancy to see if it works. I think faxes use DTMF tones for handshake signals.