Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#110300 by Darkbob
Sun May 26, 2013 8:24 pm
I've got a number over on my Magic Jack. I'd like to get everything moved over to Ooma. I hear Magic Jack can be real bastards about letting go of numbers. I got my actual account number and I took a screen shot of my Magic Jack dashboard. I sent the info in with my porting request and it's gone through the first 3 steps - scheduled to port in the middle of June.

Has anyone successfully ported out of Magic Jack and into Ooma? Any tips?
#110301 by lbmofo
Sun May 26, 2013 9:12 pm
If you have gone past Port Initiated stage and at Port Scheduled for Completion stage with a completion date, you are pretty much home free.
#110332 by MapleOne
Tue May 28, 2013 9:28 am
Don't know where you are from but here in Canada the law is quite clear, the telecommunication company must release the number. All you need is evidence to show ownership and you can claim your number back, it cannot be refused.
#110344 by domm
Tue May 28, 2013 6:27 pm
MapleOne wrote:Don't know where you are from but here in Canada the law is quite clear, the telecommunication company must release the number. All you need is evidence to show ownership and you can claim your number back, it cannot be refused.

I was looking into buying a MagicJack plus & recently chatted with a CS rep & was told that MagicJack does not port Canadian numbers yet but were looking into doing so in the future. I was thinking of porting my Bell Canada number to MagicJack but they told me it could not be done at the moment.
#110475 by Darkbob
Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:21 am
Sorry... maybe I wasn't too clear. I'm trying to port my number AWAY from Magic Jack and into Ooma. Ya... good luck with that. MJ says I will have to pry it out of their cold dead hands. But I'm trying anyway.

Everybody has to get what they think is best so if you like MJ then go for it.

Personally, I don't like MJ at all. I've got the old one that plugs into your PC and a new one that can hook right into the router. The devices do work. You always get a dial-tone and your calls go through and when people call, the phone rings. So that all works. I've never had my service go down. That's the positive.

On the negative, Magic Jack call quality is poor. The audio volume is extremely low. There's often a strange echo and a lot of delay between when you say something and the other person hears it. You often end up talking over someone or having them talk over you or repeating yourself because you think they didn't hear you.

Magic Jack customer "support" is very very poor. You just can't get anyone to talk to you - ever. On-line chat is really your only option but don't bother. They know nothing and can't help you. Go talk to your plants. There's a greater chance they will understand you.

And finally, Magic Jack sold me the device with Call-Forwarding. I set it up and was using it to forward calls from Canada to my US cell phone to keep in touch while I was out of country. Then one day MJ just took it away. No notice. No warning. There I was in the US and my cell phone suddenly stopped receiving calls from back in Canada. Thanks MJ. You cost me a few really important calls! Support said it was "temporary". That was last November. It's still gone.

NetTalk was a viable alternative for a year or so. They were awesome. But recently they have tanked so hard it's just embarrassing. They recently didn't pay their bills so all Canadian NetTalk customers lost their phone numbers and were assigned new numbers. Serious. New numbers. That was the solution to a 23 day outage? *sigh* They don't have voice support or on-line chat anymore and have recently stopped responding to support tickets. It's so sad to see a company fall so far and so hard.

Ooma is the first phone company I've found that has actual real support. They aren't perfect but they are WAY better than the other guys out there. Recently I had an issue and WOW do they work hard to resolve an issue. I got to talk to Tier 1, 2 and 3. Then yesterday I got a follow-up call to make sure I was happy with the support. I didn't even get that level of support when I bought a new car. Very cool.
#110641 by Darkbob
Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:30 pm
Update... my port went through! WooHoo!

I gave Ooma my account number (had to get it in MJ online chat), my login email and password plus a screen shot of my control panel.
#111158 by shalamigri
Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:09 am
Seems like I'm going to have trouble porting away from Nettalk.

This is what Ooma stated is the problem:

"We have received a rejection stating that there is an Address Mismatch. Please contact your current service provider and obtain the correct information based on your Customer Service Record (CSR)."

I just sent Ooma a bunch of screenshots from my Nettalk members area. Hope that helps them resolve this.
#111166 by lbmofo
Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:11 am
shalamigri wrote:Seems like I'm going to have trouble porting away from Nettalk.

This is what Ooma stated is the problem:

"We have received a rejection stating that there is an Address Mismatch. Please contact your current service provider and obtain the correct information based on your Customer Service Record (CSR)."

I just sent Ooma a bunch of screenshots from my Nettalk members area. Hope that helps them resolve this.

No worries, this happens at times with any losing carrier.