Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#109819 by Bill D
Mon May 13, 2013 11:52 am
My local Cable TV provider in south Florida (Advanced Cable) is offering 15 Mbps for $25/mo with a free DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem for 2 years (plus one-time $25 install). After 2 years it goes up to $55/mo plus $10/mo for the modem rental (unless you buy the modem).

I now have AT&T U-verse Internet 18 Mbps for $65/mo (which measures 16 Mbps). It works satisfactorily with my 2 Ooma Hubs, Slingbox, Netflix etc

With a potential $900+ savings over 2 years, switching sounds good if the cable modem works as well as AT&T, but I'm nervous. I'm curious if anyone has and thoughts, experience or suggestions about Cable vs. U-verse Internet in general before I make this jump. There's no contract but the hassle of switching and switching back could be a real big pain.
#109820 by lbmofo
Mon May 13, 2013 12:25 pm
I haven't used Uverse before but I look at cable with positive light.

You can do some VoIP quality tests, gather some readings with Uverse and then when switched over to cable, do some comparisons. Should be fine unless you have some issues with your cable in the house or going into the house.

viewtopic.php?t=10023
#109825 by Bill D
Mon May 13, 2013 1:55 pm
Thanks. The Cable Co was cooperative, I just picked up the modem. I'm going to install it and run some tests. If I return it they will only pro-rate per day (less than $1 per day) with no install fee. I'll try it for a while and compare before I cancel the U-verse. I'll post what I find out.
#109829 by Bill D
Mon May 13, 2013 3:59 pm
I've run all the tests on the Cable Internet (with Motorola SB5102 DOCSIS 2.0 modem) and it seems just as good as my U-verse Internet for $40/mo less. I plan to try it for several days, at various times of day before canceling the U-verse.
#109835 by lbmofo
Mon May 13, 2013 4:45 pm
6pm to 10pm or so. But lately, I haven't noticed much difference as far as degradation in cable internet service even during the busiest times (evenings right after dinner and before bed for example).