Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#109565 by bwgreen
Tue May 07, 2013 4:19 am
Hello,

I got an Ooma Telo with the USB WiFi adapter, but haven't really tested it out yet - I want to use the WiFi connection (as there is no LAN port near my phone), but the WiFi keeps dropping connection. I have a Linksys E4200 V1 router - I've tried three different firmware versions (2 DD-WRT versions, and the official firmware from LinkSys - it is the one currently running), all with the same results - the WiFi will connect, then drop connection and reconnect - it does this over and over. Distance shouldn't be a problem - when I first noticed this I decided to take distance right out of the equation - the Ooma Telo is right next to the router! Using a LAN cable the connection is solid. I'm not sure if it is connecting on 802.11B, G or N - is there a way to restrict this (to try an improve stability)? I have set the 1.4Ghz channel to #10, and the 5Ghz one to a specific channel as well (I can't remember which one!) Or does anyone have other ideas? I have other WiFi clients(2 laptops, an older Apple AirPort Express and an Asus O!Play Air) that have no issues connecting and keeping a stable connection.

Thanks,

Brian
#109566 by murphy
Tue May 07, 2013 5:07 am
It's 2.4 GHz not 1.4 GHz.

Are you using a cordless phone system that also uses 2.4 GHz? If you are move the cordless base at least 10 feet away from the Telo. Better would be a cordless phone system that does not use 2.4 GHz.
#109570 by bwgreen
Tue May 07, 2013 7:45 am
Actually, we do have a cordless system, but the base is a LONG distance from the Telo and the router - the Telo and Router are in the basement, while the cordless phone base is on the 2nd floor.
#109597 by EX Bell
Tue May 07, 2013 9:41 pm
bwgreen wrote:Hello,

I got an Ooma Telo with the USB WiFi adapter, but haven't really tested it out yet - I want to use the WiFi connection (as there is no LAN port near my phone), but the WiFi keeps dropping connection. I have a Linksys E4200 V1 router - I've tried three different firmware versions (2 DD-WRT versions, and the official firmware from LinkSys - it is the one currently running), all with the same results - the WiFi will connect, then drop connection and reconnect - it does this over and over. Distance shouldn't be a problem - when I first noticed this I decided to take distance right out of the equation - the Ooma Telo is right next to the router! Using a LAN cable the connection is solid. I'm not sure if it is connecting on 802.11B, G or N - is there a way to restrict this (to try an improve stability)? I have set the 1.4Ghz channel to #10, and the 5Ghz one to a specific channel as well (I can't remember which one!) Or does anyone have other ideas? I have other WiFi clients(2 laptops, an older Apple AirPort Express and an Asus O!Play Air) that have no issues connecting and keeping a stable connection.

Thanks,

Brian

I had this problem recently with a client running the same router. They were using a DECT 6.0 Panasonic phone similar to mine, so I was certain that wasn't the issue. I can't remember what I did that eventually got it to connect. Had a hell of a time with it. Odd thing was, the router used to be mine (I sold it to her). Only difference was I was not using factory firmware. For her I reverted to factory Linksys firmware. That has nothing to do with it, I know this, because I've set up two other clients with that same v1 router, running the lastest Linksys firmware version for that router. I had no problems with either of them.

I even tried three different WiFi adapters and they all acted the same. Distance was not too great and signal strength with all of them was about 60% on the Telo WiFi adapter. We also swapped the Telo, and that didn't change anything.

I think the last two things I changed were the security and the 2.4 GHz channel on the router.

I lowered security to WPA2 TKIP rather than AES. Some devices don't play well with AES, but I know the Telo WiFi adapter normally has no problem with it and the other clients I've setup with the same router are set to AES. This was really one of those, "What the hell, nothing else has worked" type settings.

To determine a new channel to set, I used iStumbler which you can download for free. It's an old Mac app, but it still works and it's easy to use. If you don't have a Mac, inSSIDer for Windows is pretty good. Either program will show you what other 2.4 GHz channels are in use around you. You want to look for the weakest signals (besides yours) that are on either 1, 6 or 11. These are the only three channels that do not overlap adjacent channels. Which ever is the weakest, set your channel to that. That will be your best shot at no interference from neighboring WiFi. If you find that any one of those three channels are not in use at all around you, then definitely choose that one, but check it a few times throughout the day. Some people turn off their WiFi routers when their not using them and it might not be on when you test.

After changing all this, it was still dropping out, so I moved the Telo into the same room, about 10ft away. I plugged it in and let it establish a link to the service. I watched it for a few minutes and it had finally stopped dropping the connection. I then moved the Telo back into the other room and it didn't have any more issue. I'm not sure why moving it into the same room helped, but I do know that that particular router does some automatic adjustments that are not accessible in the firmware. So maybe that was it. One thing you don't want to do is put the Telo right next to the router. That is just as bad as having it too far away where WiFi signals are concerned.

Try the adjustments I suggested, Plug in the Telo 10ft away in the same room, let it sync with the Ooma server (all blue lights) and then watch it for 10 minutes or so. If it stays connected, try moving it back to where you want it and see if it will remain connected. If not, play with the WiFi settings some more. I'm sure it was one of those settings that resolved the issue, I'm just not certain which setting.
#109598 by Telo_BK
Wed May 08, 2013 12:42 am
I had the very same problem (I purchased the Telo air). After going through about 90 minutes of troubleshooting on the (old landline) phone with them Ooma sent me a replacement Wi-Fi adapter. I haven't had a problem since. I am using WPA2-AES, private SSID, DHCP.

While I was awaiting the replacement adapter (with a shipping label to return the defective one), I played with my settings, router, etc. I tell you this to save you the trouble- just wait for the replacement, and enjoy your connection! For some reason, a lot of users have had trouble with the Wi-Fi adapter, until it was replaced. When I bought my Telo Air, Costco had six reviews. Three of them said that the Wi-Fi adapter had to be replaced before the connection worked reliably.

I wondered why I could talk for a minute or two, or why would the Telo even connect to the router, if my encryption or another setting were wrong. It wouldn't. I was puzzled because I had setup plenty of Wi-Fi and had few problems over the years.
#119358 by jeriesha
Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:08 pm
:?

Hi,

I just received my Telo with the wireless adapter, and can't get it set up using an Airport Express. I've tried the chats with Tech Support, and they couldn't help me. Does anyone have any documentation or a short list I could follow to get this thing set up? It's so frustrating trying to hook up something with cables, just so that you can (eventually) do without cables altogether. But when your modem only has one ethernet port, as does your router, what's a girl to do? Someone please help?
#119362 by EX Bell
Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:49 pm
jeriesha wrote::?

Hi,

I just received my Telo with the wireless adapter, and can't get it set up using an Airport Express. I've tried the chats with Tech Support, and they couldn't help me. Does anyone have any documentation or a short list I could follow to get this thing set up? It's so frustrating trying to hook up something with cables, just so that you can (eventually) do without cables altogether. But when your modem only has one ethernet port, as does your router, what's a girl to do? Someone please help?

It sounds like you're trying to connect your Ooma Telo WiFi adapter to an Airport Express. If that's correct, then I don't recommend you do that. You should do the following:

1. Connect your Telo WiFi adapter to the WiFi of your ISP router/modem.
2. Set the AirPort Express to "Bridged Mode"
3. Connect the AirPort Express to the Home port of your Telo via ethernet cable

If you don't do this you, will have poor call quality because the Apple routers do not have a QoS (Quality of Service) function like the Telo has built-in.

Keep the distance of the Telo to the ISP router/modem short. WiFi is problematic. I have changed all of my clients (except for two) to a wired connection because of call quality issues. They are all much happier now.

If your ISP modem is just a modem and does not have WiFi or it's slow or you don't like the speed you're able to achieve with the Telo routing all your internet traffic over its WiFi adapter...then you should not be using the WiFi adapter at all. No question, from experience I can tell you the call quality is going to be much more consistent and your phone system will be nearly trouble free if you just connect it all via ethernet and forget about the WiFi adapter.

Like this:
ISP modem > ethernet cable > Telo Internet port
Telo Home port > ethernet cable > AirPort Express (in bridged mode)
#119379 by jeriesha
Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:25 pm
:) EX Bell,

Thank you so much for your informative reply. Blue is my new favorite color, since I am now seeing it on my Telo, AND can use the internet simultaneously. The WiFI adapter isn't registering, but the config is upside down (the only way it could plug into the Telo would have it tilted at a downward angle, with the Ooma logo and LED facing the ports; ticket has been created for that issue, and a new adapter is supposedly on its way). I was also confused by step 1, since I wasn't sure what you meant by "Connect your Telo WiFi adapter to the WiFi of your ISP router/modem." Before, I couldn't even reach the wireless setup page; now I can, Ooma just can't find my network.

But, I have to say that step 2 was the caveat for me, because as previously noted, at least now I have service on the Telo, while browsing the internet to boot. I have an ethernet cable running from the HOME NETWORK port to the AE, and another cable from my modem to the TO INTERNET port on the Telo. I might post again when the replacement WiFi adapter arrives, but you've gotten me further than any "support" chats, and honestly, I'll run a 50 ft cable from the computer if I have to.
#119389 by EX Bell
Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:06 pm
jeriesha wrote::) I have an ethernet cable running from the HOME NETWORK port to the AE, and another cable from my modem to the TO INTERNET port on the Telo. I might post again when the replacement WiFi adapter arrives, but you've gotten me further than any "support" chats, and honestly, I'll run a 50 ft cable from the computer if I have to.

The way you have it setup now is exactly what I meant. Well done! If your Internet Service Provider has given you a modem only (in other words, it's not a modem/router combination unit that has a WiFi signal), then there isn't a better setup than the one you have now. Go for the 50ft ethernet cable, return the WiFi adapter.

50ft ethernet cable good enough for this application is just 5 bucks from Amazon with free shipping.