Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#9506 by WayneDsr
Tue May 12, 2009 6:33 am
It's about time. I get a call from this company on my new cell number every day! Different number every day. So far, none on ooma.
I say "hang 'em"!

Wayne
#9540 by bryanlyle
Tue May 12, 2009 3:55 pm
Yeah, my blacklist goes every day. What am I going to do with all the extra time I will have from not getting calls from Directv, Verizon, etc.

I do wish the lounge had a list of all calls that were blacklisted so I could see the # of calls I was avoiding :-)
#9542 by t4feb
Tue May 12, 2009 4:08 pm
Your car warranty is about to expire i have had 10 different calls from these people with different numbers blacklisted every one

go ooma
#9619 by voipdabbler
Wed May 13, 2009 2:30 pm
I've been using VOIP at home for 6 years (just switched to Ooma when the contract with my former primary provider expired last month). I've still got a fall-back, pay-as-you-go provider and several incoming DIDs routed between an IP phone and another ATA on my network. I use mysipswitch for those VOIP devices since it uses Ruby on Rails and I can route incoming telemarketers where ever I want. Originally, I routed them to a number disconnected message but 6 months ago, given my frustration level with the car warranty idiots who use caller ID spoofing, I started sending all telemarketers to blueface's monkey sounds (the message says "We've been carried away by monkeys," and then you hear monkey screams). I can check the call records and see who's called and where they've been routed and I get a smile on my face everytime I see that a telemarketer has been routed to the monkey sounds. (Some of them call back multiple times in a row--I don't know if they cannot believe what they're hearing or if there are multiple employees manning the phones and others call to check out the message.) Blocking telemarkers is one of the best features of VOIP.
#9649 by number9
Thu May 14, 2009 6:20 am
I hope this is the right thread for this. I have been getting calls from 999-999-9999. At least that's how it shows up on my caller id. I googled the number and have read that's it's a collection agency or citi bank. I'm not behind in any bills so I'm unsure what this is. When I try to add this number to the blacklist, I get an error saying it's not a valid number.
Anyone have any thought's/suggestion's on how I can block this number?

Thanks.

Barry
#9693 by voipdabbler
Thu May 14, 2009 2:09 pm
number9,

Many telemarketers are now using call spoofing, so caller id may be misleading. Most of the spoofed calls are using residential phone numbers, but some telemarketers are alleged to be using other businesses' numbers (I guess some have no concerns about being sued). It may be that the number showing on your caller id is being spoofed. (I really wish spoofing was illegal. It's far too easy for anyone to spoof any legitimate phone number, given the existence of websites that facilitate the practice, some of which are based overseas. I'm wondering how long it's going to be before we hear about crooks using spoofing to get personal data for identity theft by spoofing the legitimate phone numbers of major banks. The Internet is a two way street--it provides benefits, but it also opens up our lives to crooks from around the world, not just the home-grown variety anymore. The old saying, "You can never be too careful," is even more appropriate in this cyberage.)