Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#109042 by PandT
Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:51 pm
New user - The Linx Unit arrives tomorrow.
Besides saving money, I wanted the second line for faxing.
After reading the forums I am concerned, I have well over $320.00 invested into Ooma and I don't even have all the parts yet and I am now reading that faxing is rather hit and miss. I would like to hear from anyone on their experiences, problems and possible solutions that you may have experienced. Again, I plan on using the Linx unit exclusively for faxing and porting my existing number when all is good.
The unit is plugged in and seems to have booted correctly and updated, I don't even have a phone connected yet so I have no complaints so far (how could I) at least it powers up :D
#109048 by PandT
Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:41 am
PandT wrote:New user - The Linx Unit arrives tomorrow.
Besides saving money, I wanted the second line for faxing.
After reading the forums I am concerned, I have well over $320.00 invested into Ooma and I don't even have all the parts yet and I am now reading that faxing is rather hit and miss. I would like to hear from anyone on their experiences, problems and possible solutions that you may have experienced. Again, I plan on using the Linx unit exclusively for faxing and porting my existing number when all is good.
The unit is plugged in and seems to have booted correctly and updated, I don't even have a phone connected yet so I have no complaints so far (how could I) at least it powers up :D

OK, replying to my own post is strange but I have questions...

Been reading the forum and I am at a loss as to real information - Cases in point:

https://www.ooma.com/app/support/distrib ... hone-jacks

They have a 'No Cable Connected Here' jack - I don't even have that jack on my Telo.

https://www.ooma.com/app/support/faxing-ooma

"Note: If you find a need for reliable faxing, we recommend that you keep a Landline for this purpose."

Is this for real? - Can't be, the web site says that for faxing you get the Linx on a second line.

Say, for instance, you want to fax reliably. There are at least three separate wiring/connection diagrams that I have found so far and they are not marked as to the model Number, system level, revision level/number or any other designation that I could find. How is anybody new supposed to find out how to connect their current system when the support forums are clogged with outdated and erroneous information from years gone by without regard to new users who just want it to work?

Question, does it work or not? - Clarity in your large sheet instructions (that I just now received) would help instead of the three "Possible" connection scenarios. I have experience in electronics so I understand 'latency' and 'Jitter' (a meaningless measurement when testing at any known speed that is always compensated for in any modern electronic communication device manufactured since 199x).

As an aside, if your designers can't compensate for jitter, then you should be looking for new personnel.

So, I have to ask, why all the crud and misinformation - Fax machines have been standardized for years/decades.

As a new but not current user (On line and Active just not used yet). I suppose that I will have to answer these questions myself but I guess I was hoping for more from the Consumer Reports top rated VoIP service.

Please tell me that the Linx box has at least SOME memory and an intelligent controller of some sort that can do faxing reliably when connected to your own box. That would be a start. I will do the connection correctly but I do expect it to work when I connect it.

I am getting ahead of myself here, I don't even have all the parts yet am I am ragging on Ooma - damn, my past experiences are dragging me down when I have no reason to complain since I haven't even tried it yet but the web site is making me 'jittery' with it's ridiculous references to past (and expired) devices not to mention the crud 'large sheet' that I got with my new toy.

Is there anybody there looking at NEW customers? You know, New profits - Accessories. Plug and Play?

I'll keep you updated as things arrive but they had better work when done/connected correctly.
#109064 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:09 am
If you want to have a fax machine connected to your Linx and then have "fax" number only ring the Linx connected phone (fax machine), once you have 2 numbers in your account, you go to https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers and setup your Linx device (give last 6 digits of the DECT ID) and then add a private account and put this Linx device you setup into the private account and assign 1 of 2 numbers you have to this private account.
#109066 by PandT
Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:16 pm
lbmofo wrote:If you want to have a fax machine connected to your Linx and then have "fax" number only ring the Linx connected phone (fax machine), once you have 2 numbers in your account, you go to https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers and setup your Linx device (give last 6 digits of the DECT ID) and then add a private account and put this Linx device you setup into the private account and assign 1 of 2 numbers you have to this private account.

Now that is incredibly useful information, thank you for your time.

I assume the DECT ID is on the Linx unit somewhere, I just plugged it in today, it booted and updated.
Some Questions when you have time:
There is an option for 'Add a new phone number' on the setup page, if I add a number now for the initial setup will I still be able to have my Comcast number ported later and if so, what number would be replaced? I have Premier so I can keep two numbers, I just don't know which one would be replaced, the one that I signed up with or the added one.

I am considering (I already ordered a new switch and cables) placing the Telo before the router but when I replaced the router some time ago I had to clone the Mac address so that the new router would be recognized by Comcast - Can the Telo clone a Mac Address? If it can, how do you set that up? I tried to find a web page from the Telo but I have not been successful yet. I saw a post about using NSLookup but it did not find anything, I may have been looking for the wrong page or using instructions for a unit I don't have.

I am starting to go back in time on this Forum but the Linx is rather new (Oct 2012) and there is not that many posts that I have found so far. I was surprised that the Lynx and handsets were exclusive as I was considering getting a handset but it's not an issue for me at all.

Again, thank you for your time.
#109069 by lbmofo
Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:31 pm
In order for new router to work, all you need to do is to shutdown the cable modem so no need to clone MAC.
Premier gets two numbers so no need to add personal number add-on unless you want more than 2 numbers. The $4.99 per month charge won't kick in unless you have more than 2 numbers even if you buy it.
The ported in number always ends up on top. If you port in 2 numbers without buying personal number add on, your current Ooma assigns number will get pushed off the account.
#109071 by PandT
Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:16 pm
lbmofo wrote:In order for new router to work, all you need to do is to shutdown the cable modem so no need to clone MAC.
Premier gets two numbers so no need to add personal number add-on unless you want more than 2 numbers. The $4.99 per month charge won't kick in unless you have more than 2 numbers even if you buy it.
The ported in number always ends up on top. If you port in 2 numbers without buying personal number add on, your current Ooma assigns number will get pushed off the account.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. How will shutting down the cable modem affect anything assuming I will have to power it up for my internet to work.

Are you saying that I can just install the Telo in between the modem and router and everything will self configure?

What about that double NAT thing I have been reading about? To quote the post: "a simpler method is to configure the first NAT device to make your router's IP address the DMZ"

I have read somewhere that I go to: http://172.27.35.1
And that will bring up the Telo's web based setup page where I would have to puzzle out exactly how to make my routers IP the DMZ in the Telo. I am at work right now so I can't try any of this yet but I am reading the Forum for any clues that will help me to set it up in the best manner I can.