Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#108866 by vegetto
Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:34 pm
hey, new here. purchased my ooma telo a few weeks ago and i'm pretty happy with it. my original set up was modem-router-ooma. but i did drop a couple calls, not a big a deal as i was making many calls to test it out. i did, however, switch the router and ooma to go to modem-ooma-router. now, i have a problem where i cannot access my computer from an outside network. obviously, if i take ooma out of the equation, or go back to my original setup (which i don't want to do), everything works fine.

short story long, is there an option in the telo setup to make the ooma listen for incoming traffic? i figured there was some security setting inside i needed to change, but now i'm not sure. any help will be appreciated! :D

if need more detail:

i use PlayOn for my home television (in conjunction with Netflix streaming of course). what PlayOn is, is just a very simplified media server. it takes streams off of the internet, transcodes on the fly and then broadcasts that back on my network so DLNA compatible devices can pick up the signal, such as my Roku, androids, apple iAnythings, etc. PlayOn also has an option for mobile access. for example, once I connect my android phone to PlayOn on my network, the media server recognizes the device and then I can access my PlayOn computer from anywhere, any network. anywho, I'd like to watch the NFL Draft coming up, but since I have to work, I'd like to be able access my PlayOn from work from my phone.

Thanks,
- The Rambler
#108880 by MapleOne
Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:34 am
Why not just go modem-> splitter -> router & Ooma

This way the signal from the modem goes straight to the Ooma and straight to the router.

I have not tried this but am curious to see if it would work.
#108886 by MLXXXp
Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:05 am
MapleOne wrote:Why not just go modem-> splitter -> router & Ooma

You would need two IP addresses from you ISP. Most only give you one.

Someday, when everything supports IPv6, this won't be a problem because everyone will get more IP addresses than they will ever need.

This is assuming by "modem" you mean just a straight modem with no routing or NAT capabilities and by "splitter" you actually mean a switch or hub.
#108894 by MapleOne
Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:58 am
HeHe

Of course you are correct, I forgot that to do that you would require more than one IP address.

I use Rogers cable for my TV and Teksavvy for my Internet. They both run on the same line and the technician just split the line to each device. In my thought process I figured maybe the same could somehow be done with the Ooma.

I guess I figured you could split the line coming out of the modem to two different routers and then go from there.
#108936 by vegetto
Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:00 pm
lbmofo, thanks... seems pretty straight forward. how do you know which ports to use? i feel like that is a real dummy question :/
#108939 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:22 pm
vegetto wrote:lbmofo, thanks... seems pretty straight forward. how do you know which ports to use? i feel like that is a real dummy question :/

Well, that depends on the service you are trying to use....so need to find out from specific forum or product literature.
#108940 by vegetto
Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:37 pm
yeah, sorry for the dumb question. it wasn't working and i thought i had the wrong port in the ooma setup. i had to go into my router and set up a rule in their as well.

works great! thanks for the help! :D