Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#108133 by Dave_HendersonNV
Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:38 pm
Outgoing call drops the call and you get a dialtone when on hold for more than 20 min. This has been very frustrating.. Had to use my cell phone to make the call. Hold times at Delta Airlines were more than 40 minutes. Making it impossible to use Ooma to make an Airline Reservation using Ooma. :shock:
#108135 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:47 pm
You shouldn't experience drops. I lean towards your internet gear. If your Ooma is connected directly to your modem, modem maybe the issue. If connected to the router, maybe modem and or router. Using a PC, you can see if your internet connection barfs once in a while: http://www.pingplotter.com/freeware.html
#108146 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:13 pm
Dave_HendersonNV wrote:Outgoing call drops the call and you get a dialtone when on hold for more than 20 min. This has been very frustrating.. Had to use my cell phone to make the call. Hold times at Delta Airlines were more than 40 minutes. Making it impossible to use Ooma to make an Airline Reservation using Ooma. :shock:

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause Internet disconnects, dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
#108153 by Tom
Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:39 pm
Logs for these Delta calls show that the remote side is hanging up.
#108185 by Dave_HendersonNV
Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:55 am
I tested my connection and it passed.. No Issues. Connection has no issues.. I used http://www.8x8.com/Resources/Tools/VoIPTest.aspx I believe that Ooma has some sort of call limiter installed for outgoing calls. Long times on hold, the call is dropped. We have no other issues with call quality. Our Device Rocks. I tried to call delta 3 times.. The Wait time was 40 Minutes each roughly...All three times my connection was terminated. Could this be there because I am using the Ooma basic free service? I have absolutely no issues when with Vonage for 7 years.
#108187 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:25 am
Dave_HendersonNV wrote:I tried to call delta 3 times.. The Wait time was 40 Minutes each roughly...All three times my connection was terminated. Could this be there because I am using the Ooma basic free service? I have absolutely no issues when with Vonage for 7 years.

Ooma does not limit duration of calls unlike some questionable outfits like MagicJack. I've been on calls 1hr, 2hrs at a time without issues even when I was basic.
#108191 by holmes4
Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:12 pm
I had very similar issues with another VOIP provider - which is what recently prompted me to switch to Ooma. I don't yet have enough experience with long calls to say whether or not it is different here, but my understanding is that you get this behavior when the system decides to start using a different UDP port and your router decides to block it. The other provider's recommended workaround was to forward just about every port to the adapter, but even that didn't work for me. I was hopeful that Ooma would not have the same issue. I didn't have the problem with two previous providers (one went out of business, the other priced themselves out of competition.)
#108199 by Tom
Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 pm
I tested my connection and it passed

The remote side hanging up can be the remote party simply disconnecting the call or the carrier servicing the call for some reason terminating the call. All Ooma sees is the carrier sending a disconnect. So the drop is not in any way related to your broadband connection.

Your last 3 Delta calls had a duration of 13:18, 11:28, and 2:40 resp. If you have strong reason to believe that Delta is not hanging up the call you can ask support to have the carrier trace the call once you have a more recent example.