Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#108357 by karnold002
Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:36 pm
Bobby B wrote:We're happy to announce that you can add blacklist entries with a wildcard now! To add an entry, goto https://my.ooma.com/blacklists and enter the set of digits followed by a "*". For example, to block numbers that start with "408-555", you'd enter "408555*".
I am very grateful!! All toll free are now blocked!! :D

In my ideal world, I would block all (like block "*") but then allow local area codes and known numbers only - a combo blacklist/whitelist. Someday, I hope.

Thank you again! :cool:
#108359 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:22 pm
Bobby B wrote:
MLXXXp wrote:I you wanted to go further, supporting a subset of standard regular expressions, with only digits for text, may be beneficial.

A regular expression engine is more computationally expensive and may "clog the pipe". When the server is trying to match the number against one or more blacklist entries, this matching process needs to be as fast as possible, especially when there's many other calls waiting to be processed.

I was wondering about bandwidth needed in wildcard blacklist processing at first....I think the way you guys implemented it is pretty smart allowing only trailing wildcards. That way, you can just check "exists" condition vs having to check match with every single wildcard entry.

In my simple mind, I imagine you having range-low and range-high created behind the scenes when blacklist entries are created. Range-low being a 10 digit number filled with 0's outside of user specified leading numbers and range-high filled with 9's (explicit blacklist entries would have identical range-low and range-high). This way, you just check for incoming callerid falling within any ranges in the blacklist.

Now, for entry level treatment option to happen, the extra work involved would be....of the "existing" blacklist rows the incoming callerid hit, you'd have to select the entry with the smallest range (most explicit blacklist specification) and decipher the treament option specified before the call gets routed. After the call get routed, you can also increment the hit counter for that entry :)
#108365 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:41 am
lbmofo wrote:
mobile-ed wrote:I assume the 3 numbers that a number starts with are the area code? I have added 5 wild card entries this way and are still getting calls from all those area codes that are now "blacklisted*".

Are you adding the * at the end? Is your personal blacklist enabled?

mobile-ed wrote:Yes and yes.

Even with entire area code blocked, you are still getting calls (phones ringing?) from the blocked area codes? I'd give customer service a call to see why your personal blacklist is not in effect.
#108395 by mobile-ed
Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:33 pm
Even with entire area code blocked, you are still getting calls (phones ringing?) from the blocked area codes? I'd give customer service a call to see why your personal blacklist is not in effect.

I think there must have been a delay. It has been working correctly today. Thank you :D
#108401 by lbmofo
Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:11 pm
joe123 wrote:Great thanks.

To block all 800 or 888 calls, is the syntax:

800*
888*

And do I need a 1 in front?

1 is not needed. Just give the starting digits of a 10 digit number and stop the pattern anytime and end with *
I have 2 entries in my blacklist 0* and 1* to block most invalid phone numbers.
#108446 by WJBertrand
Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:28 pm
Are there directions for using the wild card feature at Myooma? There's not a hint of anything different when I look at my black list options right now. Without this forum I would have had no idea how to implement them?
#108454 by lbmofo
Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:09 pm
WJBertrand wrote:Are there directions for using the wild card feature at Myooma? There's not a hint of anything different when I look at my black list options right now. Without this forum I would have had no idea how to implement them?

It is already there (bottom): https://www.ooma.com/app/support/persona ... blacklists

Maybe adding to current directions on the screen when adding to blacklist would be nice too....

Blacklist Number
Ex: 650-555-1234
or 206* or 206236*

Caller Name
Ex: My crazy ex
or Entire City too Wired Up on Caffeine or Entire Island of Drs and Lawyers

Love the humor.
#113743 by BLL
Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:24 pm
how does one block international numbers? do i have to use the blacklist? i just found out about it, but i dont know how to set it up. i've already enabled 'community blacklist' and these wildcard things are very confusing to me. i've never used anything like it so i don't know how to set it up correctly.