Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#105331 by cm10014
Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:48 am
My Ooma is set up with modem/Ooma/router. I recently changed to modem/router/ooma see if there was any difference in bandwidth and my connection became unstable (even after resetting my wireless), and there was a drop in performance. After switching back to modem/Ooma/Router and running Speedtest, I noticed that my static external IP changed depending on the Ooma setup. Any thoughts as to why the IP changes depending on the setup?
#105333 by murphy
Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:01 am
It is highly unlikely that you have a static IP unless you are specifically paying for a static IP.
If you are you are supposed to hard code the static IP address into the first box behind the modem.
That also includes entering the mask, gateway, and DNS server IP addresses as supplied by your ISP.

If instead you have a dynamic IP address, like 99.999% of residential cable users, the IP address is controlled by the MAC address that the first device after the modem presents to the modem. Change the device after the modem and your IP address will change.