Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#9060 by dogdad
Mon May 04, 2009 12:21 pm
The tab on the scout started flashing red this afternoon. It was fine this morning. It flashes a sequence of 4 for several cycles then a relay clicks inside and the sequence changes for a while then back to the sequence of 4. There is no dial tone on the phone connected to it. When I remove and reapply power it runs thru the usual button sequence and eventually settles down to the flashing red tab. Hub seems ok.
Update - Problem Solved!
It was a standard lighting dimmer that wasn't quite turned all the way off. I could hear the noise in my AM radio. It was radiating thru the house wiring and probably induced into the telephone wiring.
Last edited by dogdad on Mon May 04, 2009 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#9063 by southsound
Mon May 04, 2009 12:30 pm
Good time to try a test to see if it is the scout or your wiring. Temporarily move the scout to where the hub is and connect it with a short cable directly from the hub's wall connection to the scout's hub connection. Power off the hub and scout, then connect the power again, first to the hub, then to the scout. If the scout performs correctly, it is your home wiring. If it does not work, give a call to customer service about getting a new scout.

If you suspect the home wiring after this test, it may be that you are still connected to the wires that used to serve your home from the telco's central office. If you do not have DSL, just unplug the little cable in your phone network box on the outside of the house. If you do have DSL, it is a little more involved. Post back and we'll guide you from here.
#9067 by dogdad
Mon May 04, 2009 12:53 pm
Southsound, it was a cheap lighting dimmer in the bathroom. I found it had not been shut off all the way and was generating quite a racket in my AM radio, using the house wiring as an antenna. Enough noise was induced into the telco line to interfere with hub/scout communication. Or maybe it got induced thru the scout power supply.
#9069 by southsound
Mon May 04, 2009 1:03 pm
Great news, dogdad! I love it when a problem can be diagnosed and repaired in 30 minutes! Glad things are back to working fine.
#9097 by dogdad
Mon May 04, 2009 7:46 pm
Wonder what my wife did to get that dimmer to do that because I have not been able to duplicate it.