Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#104791 by ranger3312
Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:57 pm
I don't know if anyone has experienced this before, but every time I unplug the line to my phone from the back of the Ooma Telo device, even if just briefly to swap phones or move the location of the phone my Telo device disconnect from the Ooma server and goes into a Flashing Red light mode.

I power cycle it and nothing appears to work again until I bring up the Ooma Techs on a Chat Support window. They put me thorugh the paces checking if my cables are plugged in, what are the statuses of the lights etc. and then miraculously my Telo device would start working again going back to solid blue. I ask if they are doing anything in the background and they claim they are doing nothing only checking to see if the device is responding on their network.

1. They claim that the Telo device should not go down if I am just unplugging the phone cord. Is this true?

2. When my Telo device is in this state, it will stay inoperational for hours until I bring a tech on a chat window to "look" at my device, even though they aren't doing anything to fix it. Has others experienced this before?

If my observations are corroborated and this is just how it is, I think It is frustrating to note that the Telo device does not have the capability of registering (not talking original registration) on its own to the Ooma network without engaging an Ooma Tech.

Thanks.
#104793 by murphy
Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:10 pm
Disconnecting the phone cable from the Telo should not cause that to happen

unless

your power connector is loose and the Telo is losing power for a moment due to the jostling of the box.

Disconnecting the LAN cable will definitely cause it to start blinking red.
It will go back to blue about one minute after the LAN cable is reconnected.
#104795 by thunderbird
Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:21 pm
ranger3312:
You could try an Ooma Telo Factory Reset. Procedure follows:

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right. (sequence above may be slightly different with later firmware visions)
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.

If the problem continues:
If your Ooma Telo is defective, and within the one year warranty period, contact Ooma Customer Support for a replacement. Shipping is prepaid, and a return prepaid shipping label will be enclosed for shipping the defective Ooma Telo back.

Ooma Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST