Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#103327 by ajw522
Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:53 am
Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, and I can't figure out what may be causing it, but I've noticed that connected the Ooma Telo Handset to the charger immediately wakes my iMac that is sleeping on the same desk as the handset and cradle. Also, if I put my iMac to sleep with the Ooma Telo Handset already on the cradle, the iMac will wake itself back up a few minutes later.

Any ideas as to what's causing this, and any possible solutions besides "move the handset to another place?"

Thanks in advance!
Alex
#103329 by thunderbird
Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:26 am
ajw522 wrote:Not sure if anyone else has had this problem, and I can't figure out what may be causing it, but I've noticed that connected the Ooma Telo Handset to the charger immediately wakes my iMac that is sleeping on the same desk as the handset and cradle. Also, if I put my iMac to sleep with the Ooma Telo Handset already on the cradle, the iMac will wake itself back up a few minutes later.

Any ideas as to what's causing this, and any possible solutions besides "move the handset to another place?"

Thanks in advance!
Alex

Are you using Wi-Fi for your Internet connection to your iMac?

If so, and you have Ooma Telo firmware Version: 63581, you can go into Ooma Setup, click on the DECT tab, and then temporarily turn off DECT Radio: by clicking on the Disable DECT button. The Ooma Telo will eventually reboot. (You have to Re-enable DECT Radio to allow your handset to work after your testing).

Wait for the Ooma Telo reboot, then test per what you said happened in your text above. If the iMax doesn't wake up, then you know you have a confect probably between the Wi-Fi signal and the Ooma Telo DECT radio signal.

If this is the case, sometimes in your Router Wi-Fi settings area, you can change the Wi-Fi frequency setting from Automatic to just one of the listed Wi-Fi frequencies. Sometimes you have to change frequencies several times to get the iMac and the Ooma Telo to co-exist.

Or you could just move the HD1 handset at least three to four feet away from the iMac computer.
#103352 by ajw522
Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:43 pm
I'm not using Wi-fi on my iMac — it uses an Ethernet connection.

I do however use a bluetooth keyboard, as well as a USB wireless mouse. I've disconnected the mouse receiver, turned off bluetooth, even disabled the IR sensor for good measure. Nothing helped — the iMac still wakes on its own immediately after the Ooma Telo Handset gets put on the cradle.
#103353 by thunderbird
Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:24 pm
ajw522 wrote:I'm not using Wi-fi on my iMac — it uses an Ethernet connection.

I do however use a bluetooth keyboard, as well as a USB wireless mouse. I've disconnected the mouse receiver, turned off bluetooth, even disabled the IR sensor for good measure. Nothing helped — the iMac still wakes on its own immediately after the Ooma Telo Handset gets put on the cradle.

Temporarily try plugging the HD1 handset charging cradle plug into another house wall outlet some distance away from the location where it's plugged now. Try to keep the HD1 phone and cradle in the same location near the iMac for testing, even if you have to temporarily have to use a power extension cord.
#103354 by ajw522
Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:54 pm
OK this is really perplexing me...Forgive me if I sound like I'm rambling. I tried your suggestion and plugged the cradle in through an extension cord about 10 feet away in an outlet on the other side of the room - the iMac no longer woke up when the 'HD1' was put on the cradle. Then, I plugged it back in the same place as it was previously...and it didn't wake the iMac. I unplugged it and moved it to another plug on the power strip...and then it woke the iMac. At that point, I got really confused. Now, here's the setup/layout: I've got outlets on a power strip on the ground, and everything plugs into there, HD1 Cradle Power Supply included, along with my iMac, speakers, Ethernet Switch, etc. The power cable then goes from the power stip, up along the wall behind my desk, where it then comes out onto the desk and plugs into the cradle itself, which sits on my desk next to my iMac. Along the way, it touches some ethernet wires and other power cables, nothing that are, in my opinion significant. My best guess was that the HD1 Charging Cord was somehow interfering with the cables it was touching, so I then moved it to the other side of my desk, where there were no cables to interfere with...but it still woke the iMac.

On a side note, my charger, both at the point where the power supply and outlet meet, as well where the HD1 meets the cradle, makes a very high pitched beeping noise every one second - can't here it all the time, but if its quiet enough you can here it very clearly. Gets pretty annoying, but I've learned to deal with it...just thought I'd through that out there in case it may have something to do with the iMac waking up.
#103357 by thunderbird
Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:41 pm
ajw522:
If you move the HD1 handset charging cradle just a few inches away from the iMac, does the iMac still wake up? Is there a point where if you move the HD1 handset charging cradle away from the iMac, that the iMac won't wake?

I have never used the HD1 handsets, but have the HD2 handsets. Some of the HD2 handset charging cradles also has made sounds. Ooma considered the HD2 handset cradles that made sounds to be defective even though they still charged the HD2 handsets.

I would suspect the HD1 handset charging cradle is sending out some kind of radiation signal that is causing the problem, either through the air, or through the HD1 handset cradle power cord. Info only: The HD2 handset charging cradle has a small circuit board inside, so I would guess that the HD1 handset charging cradle also has a similar circuit board inside.

You could try moving the cradle and power cord just far enough away from the iMac to prevent the iMac from waking up. Or you could try to obtain a HD1 cradle assembly from somewhere. I don't think that Ooma has them, but E-bay might?? Since the HD2 handsets have came out, I would suspect that the value of a HD1 handset has/will dramatically decrease(d)??
#103373 by ajw522
Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:14 pm
thunderbird wrote:ajw522:
If you move the HD1 handset charging cradle just a few inches away from the iMac, does the iMac still wake up? Is there a point where if you move the HD1 handset charging cradle away from the iMac, that the iMac won't wake?

It seems that distance from the iMac doesn't matter...I've moved it all around on my desk and it still wakes up - I think the power cord is the problem. And sometimes, the waking-up isn't instantaneous...after I moved the cradle around and did some more experimenting, it took around 20 seconds to wake itself up. And then, sometimes after moving it around, for days it will not wake up, only to have it start again a few days later.

It's really consistent at some times, but other times it doesn't do anything, so it makes troubleshooting a real pain in the rear.

I have never used the HD1 handsets, but have the HD2 handsets. Some of the HD2 handset charging cradles also has made sounds. Ooma considered the HD2 handset cradles that made sounds to be defective even though they still charged the HD2 handsets.

Did Ooma replace the handsets for you? Mine are out of warranty at this point, but I'm just curious.

I would suspect the HD1 handset charging cradle is sending out some kind of radiation signal that is causing the problem, either through the air, or through the HD1 handset cradle power cord. Info only: The HD2 handset charging cradle has a small circuit board inside, so I would guess that the HD1 handset charging cradle also has a similar circuit board inside.

My guess (based on no engineering or mechanical knowledge whatsoever) would be that it's from the power cord...I've turned off every possible way that the iMac receives signals over the air and the problem still occurs, but then my question is: what is the power cord interfering with, and how in the world is it causing my iMac to wake up?

You could try moving the cradle and power cord just far enough away from the iMac to prevent the iMac from waking up. Or you could try to obtain a HD1 cradle assembly from somewhere. I don't think that Ooma has them, but E-bay might?? Since the HD2 handsets have came out, I would suspect that the value of a HD1 handset has/will dramatically decrease(d)??

I don't really understand what you're saying here...what would I purchase from eBay?

Thanks for your help thunderbird - it's much appreciated.
#103383 by thunderbird
Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:10 pm
ajw522:
Ooma replaced the defective HD2 charging cradles. They replace both the HD2 Cradle and HD2 handset as a unit under warranty.

If possible, I would temporarily run an extension cord to the home electrical outlet that when connected didn't wake up the iMac. I would leave it this way for a few days, and just see it continues to not wake up when the HD1 handset is placed in the charging cradle. If it doesn’t ever wake up the iMac, then the wake up signal is probably passing through the charging cradle electrical cord, to the iMac electrical cord, when both are connected to the power strip???

Another thing, have you connected the charging cradle plug to the same house double wall outlet where the power strip is connected? This will bypass the power strip as a common connection.
#103513 by ajw522
Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:45 pm
Sorry I haven't responded in a while - it seems that after I moved it around some more, the problem has stopped...even though its touching the SAME cords as it used to behind my desk, it no longer interferes with my iMac...really, really weird. Thank you for your help, though! Hopefully this continues, and hopefully I don't have to move my Ooma Telo Handset again just to have it start up again! :cry: