Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#103067 by jh_austin
Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:53 am
thunderbird wrote:Try rebooting the Ooma Telo to stop the Panasonic phones from ringing after the call is answered with the HD2 handset.

If the reboot doen't help, call Ooma Cutomer Support, ask for third level support and have them "push" out a later version of Firmware for your Ooma Telo.

I finally had some time to experiment today. First, I rebooted the HD2 handsets and the Ooma Telo in order to rule that out. I called my Oooma home phone several times from my laptop using a Google Voice number that is not in my contact list.

I found that the HD2 handset starts to ring about 1 or 2 seconds after the Panasonic phones start to ring. The Panasonic phones start to ring around the second ring heard from the laptop. After answering with the HD2 handset, it seems like it takes about 2 seconds for the connection to be established, meaning I can't talk for the first few seconds. The Panasonic phones continue to ring for about 3-7 seconds after I answer on the HD2 phone.

When I answer on the Panasonic phones, the ringing immediately stops, of course, and it seems like the phone connection is established nearly immediately.

I'm planning on doing some more experimenting to see whether the picture contacts that I mentioned in a previous post is really causing additional delay in the HD2 handset starting to ring.

I'll probably also wait on the next official firmware instead of requesting one from support.
#103068 by jh_austin
Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:06 am
I just had my wife call me from her cell phone. I have her picture in the contacts. The HD2 handset started to ring about 7 seconds after the Panasonic phones started to ring.
#103081 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:00 am
jh_austin wrote:I just had my wife call me from her cell phone. I have her picture in the contacts. The HD2 handset started to ring about 7 seconds after the Panasonic phones started to ring.

What version of Ooma Telo firmware are you using?
#103085 by jh_austin
Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:26 am
thunderbird wrote:
jh_austin wrote:I just had my wife call me from her cell phone. I have her picture in the contacts. The HD2 handset started to ring about 7 seconds after the Panasonic phones started to ring.

What version of Ooma Telo firmware are you using?

The Telo firmware is 62782.
#103129 by SMichlin
Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:43 pm
As suddenly as they showed up, my replacement HD2 handsets have successfully synced my contacts. Ooma works in mysterious ways. :!:

SMichlin wrote:Received my 2 new replacement HD2 handsets today (Surprise! No tracking e-mail from Ooma, they just showed up). Still cannot sync contacts from MyOoma to either handset. Another 20+ minutes on the phone with customer support and issue has been sent to "engineering" who will be calling me back. Asked if it could be a problem with the Telo and was told no.

SMichlin wrote:Can't sync contacts from MyOoma website to handsets. Spent 40+ minutes with two levels of Ooma customer support. Have tried un-registering and re-registering handsets, and re-booting telo, plus deleting all contacts and re-entering. Still nothing. Ooma says it's a software problem. Sending out replacements, someday.
#103137 by jh_austin
Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:11 pm
jh_austin wrote:The Telo firmware is 62782.

I'm running 63430 now, but haven't been able to test it yet because I have been too busy today. I'll let you know how 63430 is working for me in a few days.
#103143 by jh_austin
Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:27 am
I just tested Telo firmware 63430 this morning and it shows no improvement with the late rings on the HD2 handset and doesn't help with my Panasonic phones continuing to ring for several seconds after I answer with the HD2 handset.
#103150 by murphy
Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:01 am
jh_austin wrote:I just tested Telo firmware 63430 this morning and it shows no improvement with the late rings on the HD2 handset and doesn't help with my Panasonic phones continuing to ring for several seconds after I answer with the HD2 handset.

Nothing can be done about that.
When the HD2 goes off hook the Telo will take the Telo phone line port off hook.
The Panasonic base then has to recognize that the phone line has gone off hook and transmit a signal to the Panasonic handsets to indicate the call has been answered. If the Panasonic handset has just started a ring it will complete that ring before it gets the message to stop ringing. If you answered before the second ring starts it will complete its process of sending the caller ID infotmation to the Panasonic handsets. Caller ID is sent between the first and second ring.
#103171 by jh_austin
Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:20 pm
murphy wrote:
jh_austin wrote:I just tested Telo firmware 63430 this morning and it shows no improvement with the late rings on the HD2 handset and doesn't help with my Panasonic phones continuing to ring for several seconds after I answer with the HD2 handset.

Nothing can be done about that.
When the HD2 goes off hook the Telo will take the Telo phone line port off hook.
The Panasonic base then has to recognize that the phone line has gone off hook and transmit a signal to the Panasonic handsets to indicate the call has been answered. If the Panasonic handset has just started a ring it will complete that ring before it gets the message to stop ringing. If you answered before the second ring starts it will complete its process of sending the caller ID infotmation to the Panasonic handsets. Caller ID is sent between the first and second ring.

I'm not whether I explained this very well then. Here is an example. I call my home phone and let it ring about 6 times. After the 6th time and much later than the time when the caller ID has shown up on all the telephones, I pick up the HD2 handset. The Panasonic phones will continue to ring for up to about 7 seconds (but sometimes only 3 or 4 seconds) after I pick up the HD2 handset.

I might look around the house to see whether I can find some other phones from my past that I can experiment with, but my limited understanding about phone systems is that a somewhat high voltage is supposed to be placed on the phone line to cause the phones to ring. If POTS phones still do that today, my guess is that the voltage (from the Telo) is staying high for several seconds after answering on the HD2 handset.