Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#8829 by cmbrandy
Fri May 01, 2009 10:28 am
Every Friday I work from home and I connect to work using a secure VPN conection. Since I got rid of my land line phone and started using ooma my internet connection keeps getting dropped. It gets dropped even if I'm not using the phone. Any idea why this would happen? How would I troubleshoot the problem? Do I need to change some configurations in mu router?
#8830 by Neubiee
Fri May 01, 2009 10:41 am
How is your ooma hub setup?

Is it:

Setup 1: Modem-->ooma hub-->router/computer

or is it:

Setup 2: Modem--> Router--> ooma Hub

Had similar issues with the first setup.. so I went with the second setup and it works fine now.
#8836 by WayneDsr
Fri May 01, 2009 12:11 pm
What Neubiee said AND:
There was someone in the forums with a vpn/ ooma issue and I don't remember if it ever got resolved. Maybe if they read this they can help you out.

If you have a wireless router, make sure you are using DECT 6 cordless phone, not the older kind.

Are you using DSL and do you have a Scout connected?

Wayne
#8837 by Pandora
Fri May 01, 2009 12:13 pm
Do you have DSL? Does your Ooma hub attach to your home phone lines? If so, there could be interference between your ISP's DSL and the Ooma HPNA network.
#8840 by cmbrandy
Fri May 01, 2009 12:45 pm
I have my modem connected to my ooma hub. I'm using Cox Coomunication Cable not DSL. I'll try to connect my ooma hub to my router instead and see if it solves the problem.
#8841 by WayneDsr
Fri May 01, 2009 12:53 pm
The fact you don't have DSL is good. The omits one problem.

Let me ask you, does your internet connection drop out only when using vpn or even when you're not?

Wayne
#8856 by lohertz
Fri May 01, 2009 6:14 pm
Are you connecting via a wireless laptop? There could be some interference with a cordless phone and wirless because of all the "chatter".

An issue like VPN is touchy, and not really sure, maybe Dennis knows more on this issue, but mostly, interconnections drop because of the earlier mentioned HPNA frequency interference or wireless.