Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#101709 by mandrachek
Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:12 am
Got my telo today from Amazon. Paid the $4 for next day shipping. Got it activated online - great. However, apparently I knocked the power cord loose shortly after pluging it in as I was crawling out from behind my desk. This apparently BRICKED the device. This seems very fragile and a poor way to handle updates to me - especially from what the documentation says the blinking red light on the top is apparently the same when it's a) upgrading and b) can't connect?

No lights would come on the device. Spent over 20 minutes on the phone with tech support, repeatedly trying the same steps, until they were finally convinced it wouldn't work, and they're now shipping me a replacement unit. I apparently had the responsibility of relaying a case/reference number from the level 1 tech to the level 2 tech, who then proceeded to put me on hold while she "checked some things on the account". Even though I gave the reference number, I basically had to explain to the level 2 tech everything I went through with the level 1 tech - guess either to lazy to read the case notes, or the level 1 tech failed to put anything relevant in the case notes. Everyone was very nice and polite - but what a pain!
Last edited by mandrachek on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
#101710 by southsound
Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:26 am
Sorry that your first experience with Ooma left something to be desired. However, I can tell you from personal experience that you will most likely be very pleased with your system. I've been an Ooma user since the original hub/scout days and now use the Telo. I have been very pleased with the performance, price, and features of the system. The support you get from this forum is second to none - and the most help comes from fellow users since no lab situation can possibly have all of the experience of the people on this forum.

Welcome aboard! After the slight bump of your present situation, you won't regret your purchase. :cool:
#101717 by thunderbird
Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:17 am
mandrachek:
From you description it sounds like the power adapter cord assembly may be the problem.

Since you are getting a replacement Ooma Telo anyway, look around the house and see if you have a spare or one of your power adapter cords used with other devices, has the same plug, as the plug that plugs into the Ooma Telo.

The Ooma side plug must match, and the power output must be 5 V dc, 2 Amperes or more output. If you can find one that matches that description, try it.
#101881 by mandrachek
Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:04 am
I got my replacement unit much faster than expected - 1 day. Yay, right?!?

Plugged the new one in, and it eventually went all blue. Made a call. Hung up that call, and as soon as I hung up it appeared to reboot. Came back up to all blue. Used the phone to call and check the voicemail. It cut me off before the message was done, and appeared to be rebooting. It appeared to be rebooting occasionally. Every couple of times I'd check on it, it would appear to be going through an upgrade/reboot cycle. I thought that maybe there was more than one firmware update it needed to download, and eventually came back up all blue each time, so I just left it alone.

We were out all day yesterday,so I didn't touch it. This morning, the only lights on the new unit, are the 1 and 2 lights. Tried power cycling, get the 1 and 2, the bottom lights flash from left to right, the right two lights on the bottom go solid for a few seconds, and then it goes dark except for the 1 and 2, with no dialtone. I unplugged all cables from the back of the telo, and tried power cycling again. The only change is, instead of the right two lights going solid for a few seconds, the left-most light went solid for a few seconds instead of the right 2 - in the end, it went right back to 1 and 2, with no dialtone.
#101947 by scoobydooxp
Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:58 pm
Does anyone know what the lights mean when just 1 and 2 are lit up? Mine was in this state today. It was passing traffic and had dial tone but there was > 1 second latency to the Internet. Rebooting it fixed the problem.
#101951 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:59 am
mandrachek wrote:I got my replacement unit much faster than expected - 1 day. Yay, right?!?

Plugged the new one in, and it eventually went all blue. Made a call. Hung up that call, and as soon as I hung up it appeared to reboot. Came back up to all blue. Used the phone to call and check the voicemail. It cut me off before the message was done, and appeared to be rebooting. It appeared to be rebooting occasionally. Every couple of times I'd check on it, it would appear to be going through an upgrade/reboot cycle. I thought that maybe there was more than one firmware update it needed to download, and eventually came back up all blue each time, so I just left it alone.

We were out all day yesterday,so I didn't touch it. This morning, the only lights on the new unit, are the 1 and 2 lights. Tried power cycling, get the 1 and 2, the bottom lights flash from left to right, the right two lights on the bottom go solid for a few seconds, and then it goes dark except for the 1 and 2, with no dialtone. I unplugged all cables from the back of the telo, and tried power cycling again. The only change is, instead of the right two lights going solid for a few seconds, the left-most light went solid for a few seconds instead of the right 2 - in the end, it went right back to 1 and 2, with no dialtone.

Does your Ooma Telo ever boot to the Red Flashing Ooma Symbol, with the Ooma Telo Network cables and phone cord, and USB devices disconnected, with only the power adapter connected? If so do the following:

Factory Reset Ooma Telo - Old Alternate Manual Procedure
1. Remove power from the Ooma Telo.
2. Repower the Ooma Telo.
3. Line 1 & Line 2 lights come on.
4. Line 1 & Line 2 lights go out and the Trash and Envelope lights come on for a very short period of time.
5. The Trash & Envelope lights go out and the bottom row (runway lights) starts scanning to the right.
6. When the scanning stops, the Ooma symbol will began flashing Red.
7. Press the Trash button, then the bottom row Stop button (small square button).
8. Hold both the Trash and Stop buttons pressed until told to release.
9. The Ooma symbol will alternately blink Red and Blue.
10. The Ooma symbol will turn solid Red.
11. Release the Stop and Trash buttons.
12. Wait for a short period of time. The Ooma Telo will cycle back into a reboot.
13. After a successful Factory Reset, all Ooma Setup settings will be Factory.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You may want to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. Ooma Telo handsets will have to be re-registered.

If the Ooma Telo will only boot to the Line 1 & Line 2 lights, the boot loader is damaged and you will have to get another Ooma Telo. Having two Ooma Telos in a row is very, very odd? Make sure that you are using a house power source that is correct. Make sure that the Internet signal coming from the Modem or Router, to the Ooma Telo Internet port, does not have a problem. Some devices can provide a voltage over the Internet cables. But if the voltage is too high, or not wired or configured correctly, can cause damage to a connected device.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
Last edited by thunderbird on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
#101952 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:10 am
scoobydooxp wrote:Does anyone know what the lights mean when just 1 and 2 are lit up? Mine was in this state today. It was passing traffic and had dial tone but there was > 1 second latency to the Internet. Rebooting it fixed the problem.

It sounds like after you had your fimware update, the Ooma Telo was "confused" and rebooting it cleared up the problem.
#101973 by richj11
Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:17 am
What cables do you have hooked up?

Do you have a phone of some sort plugged into the Telo?