Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#101603 by KEM
Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:21 am
I just ordered 2 of these an I'm looking forward to receiving them. In my excitement to get them I didn't read all of the "fine print" and now that I have I wonder if I can get a clarification on this statement...

" The HD2 Handset is not compatible with the original Ooma Telo Handset..."

So my questions are:

1) Does this mean I can't have 2 original handsets and 2 HD2 handsets connected to my Telo base at the same time?

2) Does this mean I could use the feature to call To/From and original handset to a HD2?

3) Does it mean second line incoming call ring would not work if someone is using an original and another person has an HD2?

4) Does it mean I couldn't join a call on another line with mismatched handsets?

5) Are there other limitations I haven't asked about (excluding #1)?

If #1 is the case I need to order 2 more HD2s today. If the "not compatible" refers to any of the other listed questions I'll wait to order 2 more after I've received my first order and have had enough time to review/test them.

Thank You,
Kelly E Major
#101606 by murphy
Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 am
The original Telo handsets and the HD2 handsets are incompatible.
It's one or the other.
There is a maximum of 4 devices so if you have any interest in the Linx adapter do not order 4 HD2 handsets.
#101608 by KEM
Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:46 am
OK, thank you for the clarification. I will order 2 more HD2 handsets right now.

You may want to consider making that clearer on the spec page or maybe it's just me. :)

Regards,
Kelly E Major
#101610 by murphy
Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:52 am
KEM wrote:You may want to consider making that clearer on the spec page or maybe it's just me. :)

I'm just another customer so I have no ability to take care of that.
#101613 by KEM
Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:05 am
Oh, sorry. Well, hopefully they will read that. Thanks for the answer.

Do you actually have an HD2? If so tell me all about it. :)

How did you know the answer so definitively? I couldn't find it, are there some good threads here I'm missing?

Thanks! - KEM
#101640 by vaughnsimon
Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:16 pm
I also would like a more definitive response to this question. Does this mean that I really must buy two handsets just to add a second handset to my little system? If so, this "new" product offering from OOMA representls something less than good news. :(

What terrible things happen if I leave the old handest on the system? Smoke? Flames? System crash?

If left on the system, would the old handset have at least basic functionality to make or answer a call?

Thanks
Vaughn
#101642 by thunderbird
Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:25 pm
vaughnsimon wrote:I also would like a more definitive response to this question. Does this mean that I really must buy two handsets just to add a second handset to my little system? If so, this "new" product offering from OOMA representls something less than good news. :(

What terrible things happen if I leave the old handest on the system? Smoke? Flames? System crash?

If left on the system, would the old handset have at least basic functionality to make or answer a call?

Thanks
Vaughn

There are two sets of Firmware in the Ooma Telo. One firmware is for the old Ooma Telo handsets, and the other firmware is for the new Ooma Telo HD2 handsets. Only one firmware can be loaded in the Ooma Telo at a time. If you change from the old fimware to the new HD2 handset firmware, the old Telo handsets will automatically disconnect and cannot be reconnected until the old Telo handset firmware is reloaded. If you change from the new HD2 handset, any connected HD2 handsets or Linx devices will be automatically disconnected. So both old and new handsets cannot be connected at the same time.
#101664 by Leeway
Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:59 pm
KEM, why not buy 3 new handsets and the Linx. Connect a cordless phone to the linx. No, it won't have the same capabilities as the HD2 but maybe that's an answer for you to have four handsets going.

Donna
#101689 by KEM
Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:15 am
I went and ordered 2 more handsets immediately after my last post. I wish I had realized this issue before so I would have one order but no biggie I guess, unless I don't like the new handsets!

As far as I can tell I have no use for the Linx. I can't see any reason for me to have one. In my opinion if you have an OOMA Telo you really need to use their handsets, it's the only way to use some features.

I have to admit the original handsets were crap, I was very disappointed in them, but again to use some features you had no choice. I really hope they've got it right this time since I have 4 coming.

- KEM
#101695 by murphy
Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:58 am
KEM wrote:Oh, sorry. Well, hopefully they will read that. Thanks for the answer.

Do you actually have an HD2? If so tell me all about it. :)

How did you know the answer so definitively? I couldn't find it, are there some good threads here I'm missing?

Thanks! - KEM

The answer to your question is in a blue box in step 3 of the HD2 Quick Start Guide.

https://www.ooma.com/sites/default/files ... -08-03.pdf

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 4523 times