Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#99764 by woodbutcher
Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:04 am
I am currently using an Ooma Hub with my wireless connection for my residential phone service without the landline connection to ATT. I was very glad to have this option, so that I could drop ATT, because our rural line was prone to fail when it rained. For the past few years, when I reported a line failure, ATT would notify me that it would take two weeks to get our line back in service. To complicate our problem, we depend on ATT cell towers for signal to our cells, but we are in a fringe area of coverage-our best signal is two bars, but sometimes no bars. They tell us that is the best they can do, if we don't like it we can get a different cellphone. We are three-fourths mile from ATT's fiber optic line to a small town nearby, but we are not allowed to tie into it for DSL. So, I'm glad to have the option of my Ooma hub so that I can drop the company that does not want me for a customer anyway. But Ooma is not designed to work with wireless connections, and there are calls dropped, echoes, etc. Is there any other option that I am unaware of?
Butch
#99765 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:25 am
woodbutcher wrote:I am currently using an Ooma Hub with my wireless connection for my residential phone service without the landline connection to ATT. I was very glad to have this option, so that I could drop ATT, because our rural line was prone to fail when it rained. For the past few years, when I reported a line failure, ATT would notify me that it would take two weeks to get our line back in service. To complicate our problem, we depend on ATT cell towers for signal to our cells, but we are in a fringe area of coverage-our best signal is two bars, but sometimes no bars. They tell us that is the best they can do, if we don't like it we can get a different cellphone. We are three-fourths mile from ATT's fiber optic line to a small town nearby, but we are not allowed to tie into it for DSL. So, I'm glad to have the option of my Ooma hub so that I can drop the company that does not want me for a customer anyway. But Ooma is not designed to work with wireless connections, and there are calls dropped, echoes, etc. Is there any other option that I am unaware of?
Butch

There are many people successfully using Ooma with Wireless Internet provider signals.
Who is your Wireless Internet provider?
What is the Wireless signal strenth?
Are you in a Wireless 3G or 4G signal area?
Are you using a router with the Wireless setup, if so what is the name and model number?
For Dropped Calls:
Have you set your Ooma Hub, entering Ooma Setup, with your computer connected to the Ooma Hub Home port, typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser, to use Built In MAC address. If you haven't, change the MAC address setting from Automatic MAC Address, to use Built In Mac Address.
For echo, the cause is usually the phone that causes the echo. Try a DECT 6 phone.
#99780 by woodbutcher
Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:26 pm
Thunderbird,
The service from our Ooma is satisfactory, but for some reason, some of our calls have the echo and the delayed transmission. Our ISP is Tier One, a local company. Our house has a line-of-sight to their tower 5 miles away. I don't know how to test signal strength, but I've tested speed with the websites I've seen listed in this forum, and speed is normally adequate, but it does fluctuate. I don't think we've had a dropped call since I changed the MAC address per your instructions to another poster. So, Ooma is the best option I've found, and it keeps getting better. I don't know about 3G or 4G signal. Is there a test for that? I have a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit router. We do still get echo on some calls(less than half of calls received) with our new Panasonic Dect 6 phone system, though. Thanks.
Butch
#99781 by thunderbird
Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:00 pm
woodbutcher wrote:Thunderbird,
The service from our Ooma is satisfactory, but for some reason, some of our calls have the echo and the delayed transmission. Our ISP is Tier One, a local company. Our house has a line-of-sight to their tower 5 miles away. I don't know how to test signal strength, but I've tested speed with the websites I've seen listed in this forum, and speed is normally adequate, but it does fluctuate. I don't think we've had a dropped call since I changed the MAC address per your instructions to another poster. So, Ooma is the best option I've found, and it keeps getting better. I don't know about 3G or 4G signal. Is there a test for that? I have a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit router. We do still get echo on some calls(less than half of calls received) with our new Panasonic Dect 6 phone system, though. Thanks.
Butch

You can call Tier One and ask them if you have, for your location, or home's address, 3G or 4G servcie.
You could also ask Tier One how to measure the signal strength for their wireless Internet system.

Do you have a Tier One Wireless dongle or modem; or what device do you receive Tier One's wireless signal, to feed the Internet signal into your home's setup? If the disconect/reconnect helps, then there may be a place in your router where you can select only full-duplex traffic?

It sounds like part of the time you may be having half-duplex conversation, which will sound like delay and maybe echo.
If you have a dongle, transceiver, or modem, un-plug it and the plug it back in. Then quickly test for delay and echo.
#99784 by woodbutcher
Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:58 pm
Okay, thanks. I'll give that a try. This modem we have was called a radio by the installer. I wouldn't know how to tell it from a dongle, though. I'll have to Google it.
Butch