Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#99206 by mannino
Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:36 pm
I have turned off the Telo blue lights to help reduce the generation of heat, with the goal of prolonging the life of the unit. Lately, every so often, without any particular pattern, the blue logo light turns on. I turned it off and then a couple of days later it comes back on. What is the reason and what are the implications? Please help.
#99295 by GMOOMA
Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:29 am
My guess is it's the Ooma network waking up the device. Every so often, they poll your device to see if it's still on the network... so it's an activity monitor (this is something they *MIGHT* change when they push firmware, personally, I'd like it to blink twice and shut off if they're checking).. no sense sending calls to a device that's not there..
Some people unplug and move their Ooma from place to place.. or just unplug to save electriticy when not in use, and/or have forwarded calls to their cell when they're out. As far as power savings, I hear ya.. it'd be nice not to pay the extra few cents for the light to be on every month. Just wait a month or so, since Ooma will soon be pushing a firmware update that you'll want to get..

How many of you unplug your Ooma from time to time in order to save electric costs? I think when not in use, the wattage is minimal in idle maybe 1 - 10%, but can use about 100watts ringing your phone & when on a call..
#99300 by murphy
Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:02 am
The Telo power adapter is rated at 5 volts and 2 amps.
The most it could ever supply is 10 watts.
The actual measured power for my Telo is 5 watts with the lights on full on 4 watts with the lights off.
#99325 by mannino
Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:23 pm
Thank you for the insights. Actually, I do not unplug the Telo, I just dim the blue lights. The unit is always on with the blue lights totally dimmed, except for when the center Ooma log comes back on by itself without any apparent reason.