Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#8432 by hwgang
Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:00 pm
Forgive me for asking what I'm sure has been covered. I did a search and started reading but nothing was applicable, so I'm starting fresh.

We have 4 older R10 Tivos for DirecTV (just added two to a workroom) and no plans on upgrading anytime soon (at least until DirecTV is in bed with Tivo again). I don't particularly care if they don't dial in an update, but I'm sick of the nag screen reminding me to let the unit call home. And DTV did inform us that the updates affect hard drive memory capacity over the long haul.

DTV software disables the USB ports on the Tivos

ooma CS says it can't be done. (Tivo dialing in over ooma device(s) )

I seem to remember reading something about successes in the forum, but I was new to ooma then and wasn't worried about Tivo at the time.

If Tivo can never dial in it won't change my mind about ooma but it would be nice if we could fix this.
#8433 by WayneDsr
Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:43 pm
Is the tivo dialing out? Or are updates dialing IN?
And what happens when they do?
(I don't have TIVO so you'll have to educate me a bit.)

Wayne
#8434 by hwgang
Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:54 pm
Hi Wayne,

Tivo dials out. It's a data call. I haven't even attempted an ooma configuration. IOW, I'm not asking ooma to handle it and failing. I'm just not trying. (I haven't even tried a fax, either.) I figured I'd get to this eventually. Eventually is now. ;-)

And since you wax poetic about ooma, you really should introduce yourself to Tivo if you watch ANY TV at all. It's pretty magic. I don't ever watch a single commercial, for instance. And that's just the beginning.

But I digress.......
#8436 by hwgang
Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:56 pm
Sorry about the confusion I caused in my OP.

Tivo dialing "in" meant "home" in my mind. As in "ET phone home". In reality it dials OUT.
#8437 by WayneDsr
Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:02 pm
Can you get into TIVO's menu and add "99" to the number calling out?
I believe dialing 99 removes compression on outgoing calls, for fax.

If you cannot get into the menu to add "99" I believe somewhere in past posts there is mention of a "magic" key press combination that will get you into that menu. The post wasn't that long ago so it shouldnt be hard to find.
(I think it was for TIVO anyway)

I'll take a look.

Wayne
#8438 by Pandora
Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:06 pm
If you can configure your TIVO units to dial a prefix (dial out access?) of "*99" it may work.

I put *99 in front of any outgoing fax and have no problem.
#8441 by hwgang
Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:40 pm
Ahhh, OK. That rings a bell. I thought I remembered something, but then when CS said it couldn't be done......

Thanks WayneDsr and Pandora.

Lemme try it and I'll let you know.
#8446 by murphy
Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:23 pm
I am doing it with a Panasonic Showstopper DVR.
In addition to putting in a prefix of *99,
(the comma adds delay to let dialtone return)
I had to set both QOS values in the ooma hub to 0.
You also must connect to the hub. It won't work on a scout.
Set the baud rate to 9600.
#8447 by southsound
Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:12 pm
Like Murphy, I've been on the other side - ReplayTV (they also made the unit with the Panasonic Showstopper name). It is the betamax of the DVR wars, like the betamax/VHS wars, but that is another topic.

The advice Murphy gave about the *99, and using a baud rate of 9600 is great if you have to use dialup. But is it possible that you can use your broadband connection for syncing with the mothership? The 4000 and later versions of ReplayTV used either a modem connection or an Internet connection. Check your unit to see if it has both connections. Of course, updates over the Internet are MUCH faster. With the ReplayTVs there is an option in the system setup to change connection types.
#8470 by hwgang
Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:23 am
It's like old home day in this thread with all the old, familiar faces. ;-) HI GUYS!

Southsound, no, unfortunately, no high-speed connection is possible. It's dial-in or nuttin'. Tivo and DirecTV have been doing this dance for a long time. The DTV software disables the usb ports and there was talk of having the Tivo-to-Go software option release them, but somewhere along the line they decided to make the software free (instead of the $150 it was initially) and only usable on non-DTV Tivos. Then the spat grew and DTV no longer offers any Tivo options, and I gotta say, I am a huge Tivo fan so I'd rather have what I have then upgrade to anything non-Tivo. And I console myself with the fact that the DTV tuners are all DUAL tuners, which is something I'd be loathe to give up, too.

Rumor has it they're back on friendly terms and in a year or so they'll be back. My BIL even teaches an IT college course on Tivo because of its unique qualities and fan base. I seem to remember that some of the ooma brains came from Tivo, so feel free to chime in here, ooma-folk! LOL!

But I digress....again.

Well, we got one Tivo to connect out of the two we tried. It took some fiddling, but we didn't want to lower the baud rate if we could help it, so we haven't adjusted any hub settings yet. I won't sacrifice call quality for any Tivo, no matter how fond I am of the suckers. But I might adjust, say, for a once-a-month update or however frequently I have to do it before I start getting the nag screens.

On the Tivo we succeeded with we set the calling prefix to ",,*99,,"

On the second Tivo we tried about 10 times with various tweaks to the settings and gave up. But the success of the first makes us think we just haven't discovered EXACTLY how many times we need to click our ruby slippers together to make this a solid GO.

However......

What we have here today is 85 degree weather in New England in April and no electronic gizmo is gonna trump THAT. :D

The Tivo issue is an in-the-dark-in-the-rain project that will wait. I'll tackle it again tonight. I'm out enjoy the glorious weather!

I'll continue to keep you posted and I thank you all for your help.

And because this is feeling like old home day here. I'll sign my name...

Lynne