Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#96778 by PcCowboy
Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:43 pm
We are on the Nation do not call list, and Texas do not call list. Ever since we ported our number over to ooma our phone has been ringing off the wall. I mean 20 to 30 calls a day. I setup the blacklist and they have slowed down but still getting like 7-8 a day. Is it because the do not call list don't work with ooma?
#96779 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:49 pm
20 to 30 calls? That's an exaggeration right?

I personally think that there are crooks out there making use of newly ported numbers (getting info from national porting database) as their target hence you'd get a bump up in spam calls right after number porting...but 20 to 30 a day is unheard of.
#96780 by murphy
Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:58 pm
The do not call list has nothing to do with Ooma.

One problem is that people outside of the US can't be prosecuted for violating the do not call list.
Very few people who receive calls report them to the Do Not Call list report line.
Many (most?) people violating the DNC list use spoofed caller ID so there is no way to find them.

I have long wondered if the DNC list is being used as a source of phone numbers.

Have you ever posted your phone number on the internet (Facebook, twitter, etc)?
That will get you lots of calls in a hurry.
#96881 by PcCowboy
Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:19 pm
murphy wrote:The do not call list has nothing to do with Ooma.

One problem is that people outside of the US can't be prosecuted for violating the do not call list.
Very few people who receive calls report them to the Do Not Call list report line.
Many (most?) people violating the DNC list use spoofed caller ID so there is no way to find them.

I have long wondered if the DNC list is being used as a source of phone numbers.

Have you ever posted your phone number on the internet (Facebook, twitter, etc)?
That will get you lots of calls in a hurry.

All these numbers are listed from States. But a few I tried to look up on the internet and get the error message that the area code isn't real. Don't know what the point is. Just thought it was funny that it started a month after porting my number. Has slowed down to 1 or two. On these there isn't a name, only a list of numbers. Got the blacklist set to say my number has been disconnected, that may be helping.
#96890 by jhphone
Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:03 pm
PcCowboy wrote:
.... Got the blacklist set to say my number has been disconnected, that may be helping.

I set my blacklist to Continuous Ring. I dimly recall reading here that this is better than the Disconnected setting. Something about how the robocaller's and telemarketer's software operates. And a continuous ring ties up their equipment longer.

Any advice?