Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#96629 by Tanko
Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:19 pm
I was having trouble with my scout and through this forum someone suggested resetting the Hub. This was done after numerous unsuccessful attempts to fix the scout (resetting it etc..). Following execution of the reset procedure (hold tab down, plug power in, continue to hold tab for 30 secs), the hub doesn't work at all. It has 6 buttons red (Line 1, Line 2, Trash, Message, Play, Forward) including the top tab. Its one of the original versions (Ooma Core). I've attempted resetting again several times with no luck, including resetting without anything hooked up (modem, phone, etc...).

I don't want to have to buy a new Ooma because I'm currently "grandfathered" and don't have to pay the taxes/fees ($3.77/mo) that were implemented some time ago with new buyers.

Any suggestions for fixing my hub would be appreciated. I'm only focused on it now and not the scout. I work on the scout later.
#96636 by Tanko
Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:10 pm
Thanks lbmofo. I actually just got the thing to work in the last 10 minutes. I think I had a bunch of hub issues at the same time, not just 1 major hub problem, and fixed them 1 at a time.

I read the thread you referenced. It seems as though repeating the reset process and repowering up/down all your stuff (routers, modem, etc...) will eventually fix the problem. Whats puzzling is that it seemed as though some of the problems could not be resolved until others were fixed first.

1. First I started completely over with the installation process (e.g. everything powered down, disconnected all the cords, and reconnected exactly as the users guide indicates). I think the key is powering down everything (router, modem, phone, wall jack, computer, etc...). This got me down to having only 4 red lights (line 1, line 2, trash, message) instead of 6. The play/forward buttons were no longer red.

The play/forward buttons must have reset with the re-installation procedure I followed. They are usually only lit up if there is problem with the connection to the wall. Specifically the users guide says... "When using the ooma system with a landline, the ooma Hub is unable to detect if a phone line is plugged in. Confirm that the ooma Hub WALL port is connected to a working phone jack".

Why the items that were eventually resolved below didn't reset during this process, I have no idea.

2. Next I studied why the trash/message lights were lit. The users guide says... "The ooma Hub cannot get a network connection. Check that the network cable is plugged in correctly. The ooma Hub MODEM port (and the HOME port, if plugged in) should display a solid green light. Reboot any network devices, such as modems, routers, hubs, switches, and any computers". So I powered down the modem, router, and computer as well as disconnected them. Then I reconnected and powered them up one at a time (again, similar to step 1. above).

Now I was only down to having 2 red lights (line 1 and line 2).

3. User's guide said these light up if... "The ooma Hub is unable to register to the ooma network. Check your Internet connection to see if it is working and that you can successfully browse to https://www.ooma.com". I would have thought the step I completed in 2. above would have fixed this but nope. So I reset the router and modem once again. I also powered down the hub and restarted it.

Finally, all red lights were out and tab was blue. Amen!

Thanks again.
I hope this helps someone out there.