Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#8138 by t4feb
Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:40 am
Hi I have nothing bad to say about ooma because so far I'm real happy with the service. My question is I started the porting process the first of Feb and still have not been ported as if yet. I am with Atlantic Broad Band and before that I was with AT&T. I had my number ported from AT&T to Atlantic BB and it only took about a week to do and all was good. Why does it take ooma so long to port a number? or are they so backed up that some of us get put on the back burner. I would like to stop my phone service with Atlantic BB but was told not to do so until the porting of my number is done. So I guess I keep paying for the phone service that I really don't use or stop the service and loose my number. 6 one way half a dozen the other way. Any idea's out there on whats going on with the porting of numbers. Thanks In Advance and its still ooma all the way.
#8139 by bryanlyle
Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:42 am
After you submitted your port request to Ooma did you hear anything else about your port?

I submitted mine back on 4/1 and heard nothing for 2 weeks. So, I called them and they said that they never received it. So, I had to fax it again. I got an email a few days ago indicating that they had everything they needed and would let me know when the port would be completed.
#8142 by t4feb
Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:57 am
I did run into a problem when I called them a month after I first started the porting. They searched and did find my LOA and told me at that time that I needed to send them an updated phone bill in which case I did. The one I sent with the LOA was a passed bill with my account number on it but they needed a newer bill so any way I sent it to them in an email and at that time I did receive an email from them letting me know they sent all the paper work and would let me know when the porting was done and that's been a month ago. I have not heard anything since.
#8145 by Pandora
Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:48 am
Terry, my situation is similar to yours. My former AT&T number was ported to a VOIP provider. It is currently in the process of being ported to Ooma. For the first 2 weeks my LOA sat with no action. I called, and the support staff was helpful. They had some difficulty (as it seems you have also had similar difficulty) with my VOIP bill. Which basically said I owed $0 (as my contract was / is annual).

After a 2nd fax, with just the bill, the folks handling my port to Ooma indicated they already had the bill but didn't realize what it was. This was a few weeks of unproductive porting.

After that things moved right along, within a couple of days I got an email that my information had been submitted. Just recently a notice came that my port will occur shortly.

If things go as planned my port will take about 5 weeks plus or minus a few days. Of that 5 week period, about 2 weeks were due to Ooma sitting on a complete application but not recognizing it.

Courteous calling to the port folks at the phone number listed on the LOA was very helpful to getting Ooma to perform appropriately. Calls were answered quickly with virtually no wait, and customer service was very helpful and provided all information honestly. It was a pleasure to work with the port folks.

Unfortunately patience is required. My initial port out of AT&T to my first VOIP provider took about the same amount of time. Porting isn't an instant process for landlines or VOIP. Why it isn't quicker, I don't know. Some CLECs are faster than others according to posts on other forums.

Ooma could do a better job of tracking and informing customers of port status. However they can't offer better customer service at the toll free Ooma port number. The staff is doing a great job at customer support and service once you call.
#8148 by Pandora
Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:29 am
If you can, a weekly or so call to the port folks was helpful to me. It help assure me, and kept the process on track.

Has Ooma sent you an email indicating your porting information has been sent to the provider? Once the request is sent, it is up to your provider to respond.

You are indicating waiting since early February, that is a long time for a port as we are nearing the end of April. I admire your patience, but would suggest a call to verify the port is in process to the Ooma port folks (their number is on the LOA).

Good luck!
Last edited by Pandora on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#8149 by t4feb
Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:43 am
Thank you Pandora I will be making a call just to check and yes they did send the email to me letting me know the process was started in any case that was last month. So I will make a call today as soon as I know there at work because there is a time difference from SC to Cal. Thank you again