Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#94517 by marcel
Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:17 am
Hello, has anybody else got the same problem? It's a few weeks that when I use Ooma I'm not able to connect to the internet with the rest of my computers, iPads, etc. Wired or wireless. Once I hang up, internet connectivity in the rest of the house is restored.

Note that I've had my Ooma for about a year and never had these problems in the past and haven't changed configurations or routing since. I also tried restarting the modem/router (I have ADSL) and Ooma.

My Ooma is connected directly to the modem/router. The rest of the house is connected to the other ports of the modem/router or through wireless.

Thanks
#94518 by WayneDsr
Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:31 am
Do you use the older non Dect 6 cordless phones? Many of the older ones can interfere with your wireless signal and take down the whole network while on a call. Mine used to do it when the phone switched channels and that particular channel took down my network in an instant.

Try using ooma without your cordless phone... maybe a wired just for experimentation purposes.

Wayne
#94521 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:13 am
marcel wrote:Hello, has anybody else got the same problem? It's a few weeks that when I use Ooma I'm not able to connect to the internet with the rest of my computers, iPads, etc. Wired or wireless. Once I hang up, internet connectivity in the rest of the house is restored.

Note that I've had my Ooma for about a year and never had these problems in the past and haven't changed configurations or routing since. I also tried restarting the modem/router (I have ADSL) and Ooma.

My Ooma is connected directly to the modem/router. The rest of the house is connected to the other ports of the modem/router or through wireless.

Thanks

To correct your problem, most people in your situation would add a Switch. Make sure your Modem/Router is set to DHCP. Connect the Switch to the Modem/Router. Connect the Ooma device to one of the Switch ports, and connect nothing to the Ooma device Home port, except temporarily to access Ooma Setup, to view or make adjustments in Ooma Setup. Connect the rest of your home's LAN equipment to the other ports of the Switch. I use two eight port switches in my home's LAN.
#94523 by WayneDsr
Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:16 pm
So what you are saying is that your modem/router is a wireless router? (with 4 or more ports on the back)
Ooma is connected to the router and so are you wired computers, correct?

Wayne
#94525 by marcel
Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:15 pm
WayneDsr wrote:So what you are saying is that your modem/router is a wireless router? (with 4 or more ports on the back)
Ooma is connected to the router and so are you wired computers, correct?

Wayne

Yes, it's an AT&T U-verse modem+router+wireless from 4WIRE. The Ooma Telo is connected to one of the 4 wired ethernet ports. The rest of my PCs/Macs are connected to the other ethernet ports. I only use the wireless with my iPad. When I'm on the phone internet is lost on both wired and wireless. But of course internet works because I wouldn't be able to make a call otherwise.

The strange thing is that it never had this problem in one year since I first set up Ooma. I have no other phone service with U-verse or similar.
#94526 by marcel
Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:17 pm
thunderbird wrote:To correct your problem, most people in your situation would add a Switch. Make sure your Modem/Router is set to DHCP. Connect the Switch to the Modem/Router. Connect the Ooma device to one of the Switch ports, and connect nothing to the Ooma device Home port, except temporarily to access Ooma Setup, to view or make adjustments in Ooma Setup. Connect the rest of your home's LAN equipment to the other ports of the Switch. I use two eight port switches in my home's LAN.

What you're describing is my current setup, only that I use the router's built-in switch rather than a separate one.
#94527 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:53 pm
marcel wrote:
thunderbird wrote:To correct your problem, most people in your situation would add a Switch. Make sure your Modem/Router is set to DHCP. Connect the Switch to the Modem/Router. Connect the Ooma device to one of the Switch ports, and connect nothing to the Ooma device Home port, except temporarily to access Ooma Setup, to view or make adjustments in Ooma Setup. Connect the rest of your home's LAN equipment to the other ports of the Switch. I use two eight port switches in my home's LAN.

What you're describing is my current setup, only that I use the router's built-in switch rather than a separate one.

When you wrote Modem/Router, I was thinking you had a Modem/Router with only one LAN port.

Some times if you are using a Wireless phone set connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port, the Wireless phone set will begin to conflict. For testing, if you have a Wireless phone set, disconnect the Wireless phone set from the Ooma Telo. Remove power from the Wireless phone set base station. Also if you have a wireless phone set used with another phone service in your home, disconnect power from that phone set base also. Connect a corded phone to the Ooma Telo Phone port and test.

Also sometimes the Router Wi-Fi signal frequency will conflict. Try changing the Router Wi-Fi frequency selection from Automatic, to one of the listed frequencies, and test. If that doesn't help, change the Wi-Fi frequency Selection to a different listed frequency, and test, etc.
#94528 by marcel
Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:31 pm
thunderbird wrote:Also sometimes the Router Wi-Fi signal frequency will conflict. Try changing the Router Wi-Fi frequency selection from Automatic, to one of the listed frequencies, and test. If that doesn't help, change the Wi-Fi frequency Selection to a different listed frequency, and test, etc.

Thanks thunderbird but the problem isn't in the wireless only. I don't have wireless phones and am not using WiFi only. The problem occurs with corded phones only and both ethernet and WiFi.
#94537 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:27 pm
marcel:
What is the Brand Name and model number of your Modem/Router?

Next:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________