Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#93974 by mviele
Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:12 am
I have a house and a workshop that are far away on my property. They are connected via a wireless network, but not phone line. I want a way to have our phone numbers ring at both the house and the workshop and to be able to call out from any of the three numbers depending on who in the family is making the call.
I spoke to someone in Ooma sales and they said that it was easy, just buy two Ooma Telo base stations and they can be set up to act like they are a single unit. I bought my two base stations (and a few handsets) and just went to activate the 2nd base station. I am now told that there is no way to bridge the two units and the best I can do is buy two subscriptions to Ooma Premire and use forwarding to get the phones to ring at both places, but no way to have outgoing calls go out on the desired numbers.

I am looking for an expert opinion on this. Is it possible to have two ooma telo base stations work as one or do I just throw the ooma stuff in the lake and try a different setup.

Thanks,
--Matt
#93976 by Cyberchat
Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:19 am
mviele wrote:I have a house and a workshop that are far away on my property. They are connected via a wireless network, but not phone line. I want a way to have our phone numbers ring at both the house and the workshop and to be able to call out from any of the three numbers depending on who in the family is making the call.
I spoke to someone in Ooma sales and they said that it was easy, just buy two Ooma Telo base stations and they can be set up to act like they are a single unit. I bought my two base stations (and a few handsets) and just went to activate the 2nd base station. I am now told that there is no way to bridge the two units and the best I can do is buy two subscriptions to Ooma Premire and use forwarding to get the phones to ring at both places, but no way to have outgoing calls go out on the desired numbers.

I am looking for an expert opinion on this. Is it possible to have two ooma telo base stations work as one or do I just throw the ooma stuff in the lake and try a different setup.

Thanks,
--Matt


Matt,

Here's some thoughts which I hope will be of some help to you.

From your message, it seems your goal is to be able to manage up to three concurrent calls, incoming and outgoing, with three separate phone numbers each of which can be selected and managed independently and is reported correctly in the CallerID information with calls being originated from a telephone base station or remote (wireless) telephone handsets each of which can manage calls for all three phone lines with the possible need for extended range for the wireless handsets due to the distance between the home and workshop.

Possible solution:
- three (3), OOMA Telo units
- AT&T SB67138 - A DECT-6.0 Extendable Range 4-Line Corded/Cordless Small Business System with (2) additional SB67108 Accessory Handsets (three total remote handsets) and (1) TL7600 Cordless Headset

http://telephones.att.com/att/index.cfm ... uctID=1454

Optionally:
- AT&T SB67128 DECT 6.0 Range 4-Line Repeater for use with SB67118, SB67138 & SB67158 Bases and SB67108 Accessory Handset

http://telephones.att.com/att/index.cfm ... ductID=298

The requirement for the third OOMA Telo unit is due to the need to concurrently manage three separate phone lines and their respective numbers from any telephone handset. If you have some latitude on the "concurrency" of calls, then you might find some additional ideas in the following forum topic and another topic linked to within this first topic.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12974&start=10#p92674
#93977 by mviele
Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:40 am
Cyberchat,
That was an excellent summary. The problem is it is about 2000 feet (clear line of sight) from the shop to the house. Do you know the range of those AT&T extenders? I thought it was about 500ft. Can they take an external antenna? We had looked at that originally, but when we found out (or thought we did) that we could use two Ooma Telos acting as one and that would solve the problem.
I just wanted to re-confirm that it is not possible to bridge the two ooma telos and have them act as one. Correct?

Thanks,
--Matt
#93978 by Cyberchat
Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 am
mviele wrote:Cyberchat,
That was an excellent summary. The problem is it is about 2000 feet (clear line of sight) from the shop to the house. Do you know the range of those AT&T extenders? I thought it was about 500ft. Can they take an external antenna? We had looked at that originally, but when we found out (or thought we did) that we could use two Ooma Telos acting as one and that would solve the problem.
I just wanted to re-confirm that it is not possible to bridge the two ooma telos and have them act as one. Correct?

Thanks,
--Matt


Matt,

To my knowledge, the two OOMA Telos cannot be bridged together and have them act as one. We'll see if any other forum members reply with any other ideas.

In terms of the range of the wireless repeaters/range-extenders, here's an extract from one of their PDF manuals:

"... Up to six repeaters can be registered to the telephone base. There can be two repeaters in series going between the base and handsets. The first repeater can be up to 950 feet away from the base. The second repeater can be up to 950 feet away from the first repeater. Handsets work up to 950 feet from the base or any repeater, so with two repeaters in series, handsets work up to 2,850 feet away from the base. ..."

Here's the link to the manual:
http://att.vtp-media.com/ecp/documents/ ... p2_i3_.pdf

But, you would need to have power available at each repeater location as well as probably shielding from weather, etc. So, it sounds like this would be stretching the technology close to its limits which probably means that the service might be marginal or variable, at best.

If you have power in your workshop provided from your house, then you might be able to utilize some of those powerline data line extenders. and thus have wired data outlets on the same LAN shared between your house and shop. This would provide some additional options.
#93981 by Cyberchat
Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:17 pm
Matt,

By the way, its probably self-evident, but to make multiple OOMA Telos (or phone lines from other sources) work together (two or more) through non-OOMA handsets as I described, you would hook them up to a Cat-5e or Cat-6 cable (which can handle up to four phone lines) as Line-1, Line-2, Line-3, .... Its straight forward to do this with the Telephone Distribution Modules for patch panels which are now commonly available at places like Lowes or Home Depot.

The more-then-two-line phones usually have an RJ45 plug to directly handle the Cat-5e hookup (which you should verify before purchase). Then, the call management would happen on the non-OOMA base station and handsets, i.e., the selection of which line to use for call origination, placing calls on hold to answer or originate/answer a second or third call, conferencing between calls, digital telephone directories, etc.
#93987 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:20 pm
Two Telos can not act as one.

One viable option for your 2 Telos hosting 3 numbers...

  • Telo #1 - Premier so you can have 2 numbers on it. Multi-ring your Telo #2 so incoming calls would ring Telo #2 as well.
  • Telo #2 - Basic with only 1 number on it. Not Premier so can't multi-ring. Instead of handing out Telo #2 assigned number, hand out a Google Voice number that's forwarded to both Telo #1 and Telo #2.

With above option, outgoing CallerID would be limited to the numbers assigned to the Telo you are using. You are stuck with what's assigned to Telo #2 as outgoing CallerID. If using Telo #1, default is primary number. If secondary number outgoing CallerID desired, use dialing prefix **1.

For Telo #1, since you have Premier, you can use GVE (Google Voice Extension) where you can choose to show your Google Voice number (a different Googlve Voice number than the one you use for Telo #2) as outgoing callerid (but Google Voice does not provision outgoing callerid so your outgoing callerid name would show Unassigned or Unknown).

How to sign up with Google Voice: viewtopic.php?t=13383#p93077

Different situation but maybe you can get some misc info from it: viewtopic.php?t=13340
#94852 by mviele
Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:03 am
Just to follow up. I got my AT&T 4-line phone and the two repeaters. I now have crystal clear voice in the shop that is 850ft from the house. I wanted to thank all of you for the good suggestion and technical details. It works great!

--Matt
#94854 by Cyberchat
Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:54 am
mviele wrote:Just to follow up. I got my AT&T 4-line phone and the two repeaters. I now have crystal clear voice in the shop that is 850ft from the house. I wanted to thank all of you for the good suggestion and technical details. It works great!

--Matt


Matt,

Thanks very much for the follow-up message. Its always good to hear the feedback from successful deployments.

With your 4-line base phone and wireless remotes you now probably have intercom services within your house and between your house and your shop. We have a sprawling two-story residence and we find the intercom services and the ability to redirect calls between the base and remotes to be equally as beneficial as the telephone service.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests