Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#93795 by metropical
Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:19 am
some things aren't clear to me.

We have Premier and a Scout.
I want to port a number to the Scout and "2nd" line.
Once the port is accomplished (ETA?), will the main number ring on the Hub connected phone and the ported "2nd" number ring on the Scout connected phone?
Or is there no way to distinguish which "line" is ringing?

We use hardware for VM service rather than the Ooma VM service.

Can the "2nd" number support a fax in-line, both incoming and outgoing?
Are there any unusual setting to know about?
#93796 by murphy
Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:37 am
metropical wrote:some things aren't clear to me.

We have Premier and a Scout.
I want to port a number to the Scout and "2nd" line.
Once the port is accomplished (ETA?), will the main number ring on the Hub connected phone and the ported "2nd" number ring on the Scout connected phone?
Or is there no way to distinguish which "line" is ringing?

We use hardware for VM service rather than the Ooma VM service.

Can the "2nd" number support a fax in-line, both incoming and outgoing?
Are there any unusual setting to know about?

In the dafault configuration both numbers will ring on all on all phones connected to the hub and to the scout.
If you take a scout and set it up as a personal device and then assign the second number to the scout the first number will ring on phones connected to the hub and the second number will ring on phones connected to the scout.

Connecting a FAX to a scout is not recommended.
#93799 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:59 am
In the default config (shared) where both numbers ring all your phones, you can go to Phone Number Preferences and assign different ring patterns to your phone numbers (click on the phone number to assign).

https://my.ooma.com/phone_numbers
#93825 by metropical
Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:46 pm
Thanks both for the clarification.
How long does the number port take usually?
Is it as fast as a cell to cell port or .................?

Why is the Scout NG for fax?

I assume the Hub is?

And just for education purposes, I assume by "assigning" a number to the Hub and/or Scout, the MAC address of the devices is what makes the right line ring?
#93827 by lbmofo
Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:17 pm
metropical wrote:How long does the number port take usually?

Officially 3 to 4 weeks but we hear a lot of them done in 1 week or so.

metropical wrote:Is it as fast as a cell to cell port or .................?

Cell to cell number ports take 5 to 15 minutes usually. Landline/VoIP isn't that fast.

metropical wrote:Why is the Scout NG for fax?

Scout communicates with Hub via HPNA signal so not as robust/reliable. However, I've heard people doing it before.

metropical wrote:I assume the Hub is?

Hub vs Scout is recommended for faxing since more reliable.

metropical wrote:And just for education purposes, I assume by "assigning" a number to the Hub and/or Scout, the MAC address of the devices is what makes the right line ring?

You are probably right on the MAC address; Ooma needs to know how to get to your personal device somehow (Telo handsets, you just specify the handet # but Scouts, you'd need to provide serial # when creating personal devices).

More info:
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/personal-devices
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/personal-phone-number
https://www.ooma.com/app/support/faxing-ooma
#93828 by metropical
Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:32 pm
More questions that I realized as I tried to get going today.
Does each phone extension need an Ooma device on it to work and ring the proper line?

Or is that a function of how the phone wiring exists in the house?

I was going to use our Scout, (currently on an extension of the primary number) to be the personal device of a new number that I would port to Ooma.

Butr when I pull the Scout from the extension of the primary line, Ooma goes away.
#93846 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:14 pm
Have your Scout up and running first in your setup.

Hub's wall port to Scout's wall port connected with a phone line/cord. Or you can use the house wiring for this (Hub's wall port connected to a walljack and Scout's wall port connected to another walljack; this way your Hub and Scout can be many rooms apart).

You can connect a phone to the Scout phone port.

If you do nothing, whether connected to Hub or connected to Scout, all phones will ring on incoming calls (no matter how many numbers you have on your account; all numbers will ring all phones).

If you create a Scout personal device, only the number assigned to the Scout personal device will ring the phones connected to that Scout. You can have up to 4 Scouts connected but you don't have to make them personal devices.
#93847 by metropical
Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:28 pm
Have your Scout up and running first in your setup.

I do, currently with the primary line.
The 2nd number hasn't been ported as yet.
But when I remove the Scout, the primary line no longer rings the extension. There is no dial tone of either Ooma or Vzn.

So I think that perhaps I have to make some changes in the house phone wiring ......... No?
#93849 by lbmofo
Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:35 pm
Don't you have phones connected to the Hub's phone port? Those should still ring.