Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#106046 by amoney
Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:29 am
I'll throw my recommendation to check out.

Simplisafe

Cellular based, monitoring as low as $15mo. all the bells and whistles remote montioring plus remote arm from a phone $25mo.

Simple wireless package install you pick what you need, inexpensive in comparison, especially in the long run with cheap monitoring.

NO CONTRACT!!!
#120549 by jimline2
Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:29 pm
Safemart.com sells a UL monitoring package for about $110 /year. I have been using them for about 15 years. Good monitoring service, AND free technical help. They sell alarm systems, but the monitoring service will work with most standard alarm systems. My usage has been with a RJ31X jack going to a regular telephone landline, not Ooma. This and most monitoring companies may require 1-yr auto-renew contracts.
#120591 by Linwood
Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:01 pm
I have used NextAlarm and am now using AlarmRelay, in both cases with a DIY system with no installer involved (which you may need if you are switching). Note that your problem if you plan to use the ADT system is more likely to be getting access to it to reprogram - they are not known for being cooperative, even if you have clear ownership to it (and many do not). But that's a different question.

NextAlarm was fine, no issues, but I really like AlarmRelay. I switched to get IP monitoring of the native panel I had (i.e. without an add-on). Alarm Relay has a great on-line viewer; you pay extra for that but only setup, not monthly (kind of weird how they do that actually).

Both companies' web sites and online information are a bit lacking in details, but both worked fine. And NextAlarm did a graceful termination and prorated refund without any issues. Note Alarm Relay doesn't give prorated refunds, if I recall (not sure, but read the fine print).

If you end up changing panels, you might look into IP monitoring. If (important "IF") you are going to do it over VoIP anyway, it's MUCH faster and more reliable to just do it via IP rather than a simulated dialup over VoIP. MUCH faster to communicate with native IP. Note that's not the same as the add-on devices which are often used to attach dial-only panels to IP monitoring, though those are probably also better than using Ooma.