Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#93042 by jazzycat
Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:31 am
Hello. I got my ooma telo about 5, maybe 6 months ago, and an ooma handset about 3-4 months ago. I have noticed lately that the battery seems to die very quickly. (I usually leave it off the charger and let it drain most of the way before I recharge it, usually for 2 or 3 days.) Now the charge will seem to be full, and all of a sudden the battery goes dead, after being off the charger for only a day or so, even less. Do I already need a new battery? It seems unlikely that a brand new phone would drain the battery so quickly. What up?
Last edited by jazzycat on Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
#93044 by thunderbird
Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:05 am
jazzycat wrote:Hello. I got my ooma telo about 5, maybe 6 months ago, and an ooma handset about 3-4 months ago. I have noticed lately that the battery seems to die very quickly. (I usually leave it off the charger and let it drain most of the way before I recharge it, usually for 2 or 3 days.) Now the charge will seem to be full, and all of a sudden the battery goes dead, after being off the charger for only a day or so, even less. Do I already need a new battery? It seems unlikely that a brand new phone would drain the battery so quickly. What up?

I believe the warranty for the Ooma Telo Handset battery is for one year, if yours is failing.

See the following Ooma Forum thread for what others are saying about the Ooma Telo Handset batteries.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11186&hilit=batteries.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13154

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#93070 by jazzycat
Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:09 pm
Interesting. Thanks.

So I guess I will see if the battery issue continues, and if it does, I will request a new phone. I refuse to buy a new battery for $20 when I've only had this phone for a few months. It is an additional line (which is why I got the telo handset, for a 2nd dedicated line), and it doesn't get used a lot. Maybe they will just send me one of the new phones to cover the problem. It sounds like these older phones have had this problem for a while, and on an ongoing basis, not just a few flukes, so it would annoying to get another one, and then just have the problem repeat itself a few months down the road. The new ones use rechargeable AA batteries, I wonder if this is why they did that. Other than that, I don't see any reason to get one of the new ones. (We've had our other cordless phones for years, and never replaced the batteries.)

I am very happy with the service so far. There have been a few bugs, nothing much, I get an echo now and then, but I love having a $3.50 phone bill every month. With the tax increase, it went up to $3.77, but that would have happened no matter who my service was with. (I don't get why some people are upset with Ooma about this, because if the taxes go up, they go up on ALL phone services, Ooma has no control over it.) When I had Comcast, it was almost $60/month for the phone service, and before that, with AT&T (where I didn't have free long distance) it was around $70/month. My telo has already paid for itself, and now, the phone service is basically free. Well, I did pay for the Premiere service (to get the 2nd dedicated line), but it was $100 for 12 months, so... less than $10/month plus the taxes, and I got a free handset. Not bad.
#93187 by jcs
Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:23 am
I am having the same issue. Just this AM I only had the phone off the charger for an hour and it went dead. Of course it is possible it wasn't in the cradle properly so didn't have a full charge so I'll give it till tomorrow and if it does the same thing I'm going to request a new phone.

I also get the occasional echo and thought the Telo Handset might solve that issue but it hasn't. It is infrequent and has improved over the last few months so it really isn't a big issue, especially considering the savings.