Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#92345 by quibb
Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:36 pm
Ooma has worked great for over a year.

Upfront....In an attempt to filter our home wireless, I've rerouted my internet from Qwest (CenturyLink) to Opendns with mixed results. I really like the service OpenDns provides.

Ooma has been great for the last few months on opendns, but lately there are times when I lose 'ringback' (can't hear ring when calling out). The person receiving the call will hear the ring on their end and pick up, the call is connected, and the quality is very good. Just no outgoing ring.

Also, just this week, I've started losing internet if someone is talking on the phone (ooma line). As soon as the call ends, the internet becomes active again like nothing happened. Very strange.

Could openDNS be the issue? Anybody using OpenDNS with good results? My broadband speed numbers check out ok...

V
#92347 by murphy
Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:49 am
You haven't "rerouted" your internet.
All a DNS server does is convert URLs to actual IP addresses.

It's exactly like looking up someone's phone number in a phone book.
Once the call is placed you don't keep referring to the phone book.

Ooma doesn't use the DNS server reported by your router.
They use their own DNS server which is hard coded into the firmware.

Once a connection is established the DNS server(s) are out of the picture.
#92349 by hpepper
Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:52 am
quibb wrote:Ooma has worked great for over a year.

Upfront....In an attempt to filter our home wireless, I've rerouted my internet from Qwest (CenturyLink) to Opendns with mixed results. I really like the service OpenDns provides.

Ooma has been great for the last few months on opendns, but lately there are times when I lose 'ringback' (can't hear ring when calling out). The person receiving the call will hear the ring on their end and pick up, the call is connected, and the quality is very good. Just no outgoing ring.

Also, just this week, I've started losing internet if someone is talking on the phone (ooma line). As soon as the call ends, the internet becomes active again like nothing happened. Very strange.

Could openDNS be the issue? Anybody using OpenDNS with good results? My broadband speed numbers check out ok...

V

I have been using OpenDNS for two years. I have a Telo with the following config: Modem > Router > Telo
and I never have any problems with my Ooma or Internet. (My ISP is Time Warner - standard 10MB Road Runner service)
#92350 by thunderbird
Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:16 am
quibb wrote:Ooma has worked great for over a year.

V

I and several other people using Ooma have failed to hear "ringback" at least part of the time, and have been loosing Internet while using Ooma. Ooma is supposed to be working on these issues, but up to this point haven't come up with a fix.

It would probably help us along with yourself if you would report your problems to Ooma Customer Support. It's one of those things where "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST