Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#92316 by CrankyBear
Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:46 am
OK, so I just signed up, and want to port my phone number from Vonage to Ooma. After searching the forums a bit, I still have a couple of questions:

- Until the porting process completes, I need to keep my Vonage line running. That pretty much means I need to disconnect Ooma until the process completes, right?
- I want to pay the $119 for the first year. However, if the porting process takes up to a month, and I'm not connected per my point above, am I not losing a month of service that I'm paying for (while still paying for my Vonage service)? Is there a way to push the agreement out to the point where my number kicks in?
#92323 by lbmofo
Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:32 pm
You can run both Vonage and Ooma. You can even decide to forward your Vonage calls to the Ooma temp number you got and only hook up phones to your Ooma (before port, your outgoing callerid will be the temp Ooma number).

As for Premier, even if you buy 1 year Premier now, the 1 year won't kick in until your trial expires.
#92334 by CrankyBear
Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:37 pm
Thanks for the reply! You are correct on both accounts. I got both systems going now, with Vonage forwarding to Ooma. The only drawback there is that in the interim, my calls out will still register with the new number. That's a minor inconvenience, though. And I ordered the one-year Premiere, and it says it will renew on 3/29/13.
#93016 by bhochstrasser
Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:27 pm
I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 here as I just setup my Ooma Telo last night and I am a looooong-time Vonage user. I would advise against setting up a Vonage Call Forwarding number, and instead, set your Ooma number as your Vonage Network Availability Number, and unplug the Vonage device altogether!

This threw me for a loop at first because I went the Call Forwarding route and then unplugged my Vonage ATA, but the calls wouldn't forward properly. It wasn't until I poked around a bit and noticed that I had setup my mobile number as the Network Availability Number and then I realized that Network Availability overrides Call Forwarding!

So I removed the Call Forwarding number, and updated the Network Availability Number to my Ooma number and presto, it works perfectly. I'm also in the process of porting over my Vonage number, that should be wrapped up in less than 2 weeks.

Cheers!