Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#92306 by bas207
Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:35 am
I bought my Ooma system at my local Sears store, and the kid who sold it to me advised me to buy the Uniden Cell Link system (2 phones for $69, series 3280).

I'm now questioning that decision. I know I wanted/needed the DECT 6.0 digital quality, but I will never, ever want to connect my cell phone to my Ooma system, so I'm assuming that I wasted money on Bluetooth technology that I'll never use.

My question is this: Should I have gotten a different Uniden DECT 6.0 phone system? I'm a brand new Ooma user, so I don't think it's too late to take the phones back and get something different.

Altogether, I want 4 or 5 handsets, so I want to make this decision asap, before I spend any more money unnecessarily!

Thanks to anyone who has advice.
#92310 by thunderbird
Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:08 am
bas207:
I don't know which Uniden phone set is better. But maybe if you can wait, you may be better off purchasing the new Ooma handset phones, that are to be released for sale in two or three months.

The new Ooma handset phones will have more options then any other outside vender phones connected to the Ooma Telo.

See the following thread for more information:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13154&hilit=handset
#92317 by Cyberchat
Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:05 am
bas207 wrote:I bought my Ooma system at my local Sears store, and the kid who sold it to me advised me to buy the Uniden Cell Link system (2 phones for $69, series 3280).

I'm now questioning that decision. I know I wanted/needed the DECT 6.0 digital quality, but I will never, ever want to connect my cell phone to my Ooma system, so I'm assuming that I wasted money on Bluetooth technology that I'll never use.

My question is this: Should I have gotten a different Uniden DECT 6.0 phone system? I'm a brand new Ooma user, so I don't think it's too late to take the phones back and get something different.

Altogether, I want 4 or 5 handsets, so I want to make this decision asap, before I spend any more money unnecessarily!

Thanks to anyone who has advice.

Check out this thread for a discussion about how you might use the bluetooth functionality.

http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12290&start=0
#92495 by pcwii
Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:01 pm
Cyberchat,

IMHO do not buy any Uniden cordless phone. I spent hours chasing a voice chop problem that i thought was a QoS VoIP issue. The Uniden has lame radio channel selectivity and any near by WiFi will interfere with it. I took mine back to Costco wholesale and swapped for a Panasonic that has a good performance RF section. Problem fixed.

I occasionally call people and here the signature voice chop sequence and will ask them, "i have an unrelated question for you, are you talking to me on a Uniden cordless phone?", why yes how did you know?

I have to get another hobby.
Clif
:|
#92496 by EX Bell
Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:59 pm
+1 Uniden are crap. I just dumped mine. They had decent features, voicemail integration and all that, but I never really was happy with the sound and now I know why. They performed exactly as pcwii is describing and mine were actually causing my internet to drop out when the base was too near my WiFi router. See my post here

My Panasonic phones @ 5.8 GHz never interferred, but because of the way I rewired my phone lines a few years ago, it would have been impossible to prevent someone from accidentally connecting my home wiring back to the demarcation point without completely rewiring again. Purchasing a new multi-phone Panasonic set was an easy, safe option so my Telo will never be fried by accidental engagement to Bell's line that will remain to provide DSL. A great alternative to keeping those horrible Uniden phones. I then only had isolate a portion of my internal phone wiring from the DSL line so my fax could connect to my Telo. I was able to get the fax working perfectly as well (see post here).

The positive feedback about Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones and the Ooma Telo is 100% accurate. I purchased a 5 phone set (KX-TG6655S) with a range booster on sale from Costco for $120 and I couldn't be happier with them. Crystal clear conversations at last. Don't even need the range booster in my house. Why bother with other phones? I can see how it would be handy to have at least one Ooma handset available to access the second line for simultanious calls. After the poor reviews I've read concerning the current model, we can only hope their new version DECT 6.0 is anywhere close to the quality of a Panasonic DECT 6.0. At first, I could tell my wife was not happy about the extra expense, but she's come around after using them. We also like finally having intercoms that are compatible on all phones, so we're not having to shout upstairs and downstairs all the time. When there's a voicemail on Ooma, not only are we notified with email to our cell phones, but the light on every Panasonic in the house flashes and we can pick it up from any one of them with a single button press. The talking call waiting is also great and can be enable per phone as desired. Not a purchase you would regret. Take back those Uniden phones and go for a 4 or 5 phone Panasonic DECT 6.0 set.