Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#91656 by msrandles
Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:02 pm
We have had our Ooma setup for a couple of years now running with no problems. Configuration has been a cordless phone base unit on the 1st line, with a single phone connected to the Scout on the 2nd line. In that config, only the cordless phones connected to the base unit on the 1st line rang when a call came in. Recently we upgraded our cordless phone system and connected it to the 1st line and then replaced the single phone on the Scout with the the old cordless phone system. Everything works as expected... except now when we receive a phone call on the 1st line, ALL the phones the in house ring. All those on the 1st line and all those on the 2nd line (connected to the Scout) ring when we get a call on line 1!

To be fair, we do have a whole house wiring system for our Ethernet, telo, and cable; and did move the 2nd line (and old cordless phone) to another room, but really it's just moving some wires in the patch panel and connecting them up the same way. So, I don't think that's the reason we're having the problem with ALL the line 1 and line 2 phones ringing when a call comes in on line 1. What's even more perplexing is that when we connect the second line to the single phone and test the system, it now rings too whenever a call comes in on line 1.

My next step is to re-configure back to our original configuration and see if the problem goes away and returns back to our normal experience of only the phones on line 1 ringing when a call comes in on line 1. But after reading the forum posts I wanted to check to see if there was a configuration parameter that I could tweak. I did try *#*#289 to resync with the Ooma servers with no improved results in the problem.

Any suggestions for how to get a call on line 1 to stop ringing on the cordless handsets connected to the scout on line 2?
#91688 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:03 pm
msrandles:
I don't know if any of these things will work, but I will list some things to try.
First:
Hub and/or Scout factory reset sequence:

1) Remove the power for the Ooma device.
2) Hold down the Ooma tab [blue light] and connect the power. Hold for 30 seconds until all the lights start flashing.

Once the lights stop flashing, release the Ooma tab and the device will reset to factory settings.

Some people say they have to do the reset several times in a row before they have success.

Second:
Did you replace a two (conductor) wire phone cord with a four wire phone cord when you were switching phones around?

Third:
Power off the Ooma device for 35 to 40 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Information: The VPN timeout is 10 minutes. At this time the 'network outage' timeout is 32 minutes. These are the times that are required to pass before the Ooma servers recognize that that your Ooma device is offline.
#91698 by Cyberchat
Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:17 pm
msrandles wrote:We have had our Ooma setup for a couple of years now running with no problems. Configuration has been a cordless phone base unit on the 1st line, with a single phone connected to the Scout on the 2nd line. In that config, only the cordless phones connected to the base unit on the 1st line rang when a call came in. Recently we upgraded our cordless phone system and connected it to the 1st line and then replaced the single phone on the Scout with the the old cordless phone system. Everything works as expected... except now when we receive a phone call on the 1st line, ALL the phones the in house ring. All those on the 1st line and all those on the 2nd line (connected to the Scout) ring when we get a call on line 1!

To be fair, we do have a whole house wiring system for our Ethernet, telo, and cable; and did move the 2nd line (and old cordless phone) to another room, but really it's just moving some wires in the patch panel and connecting them up the same way. So, I don't think that's the reason we're having the problem with ALL the line 1 and line 2 phones ringing when a call comes in on line 1. What's even more perplexing is that when we connect the second line to the single phone and test the system, it now rings too whenever a call comes in on line 1.

Any suggestions for how to get a call on line 1 to stop ringing on the cordless handsets connected to the scout on line 2?

There's lots of possibilities for the source of your problem, so here are a few thoughts:

You mention that you have a "whole house wiring system (patch panel) and that you had to move some wires in the patch panel when you made your changes. You didn't mention the vendor for your patch panel so I'll make some suggestions based on our setup which is a set of Leviton Structured Cabling Panels (aka: Structured Media Center).

Regardless of your patch panel vendor you probably have some "Category 5e Voice & Data Modules" used for terminating remote connections (from wall outlets) for voice, fax, modem and computer. You probably also have one or more "Telephone Distribution Modules" which accept incoming service from the telephone service provider (dial tones) and provide dial tone (for up to 4 lines) to ports on the "Category 5e Voice & Data Modules" by way of short Cat-5e patch cords.

Depending on your TDM, various ports in the TDM will distribute lines 1,2,3,4 through the 8-wire Cat-5e cables or many different potential pairs or combinations of the four lines (1,2 or 3,4 or 1,3 or 1,4 or ......). (Note: The idea for distributing pairs of the four lines is to support a standard 4-wire handset telephone wire with either two or four active wires being plugged into a Cat-5e wall outlet from your telephone handset which then connects to just the middle four Cat-5e wires).

So, to troubleshoot your problem its important to know which telephone lines from the OOMA equipment are connected to which TDM ports for incoming dial-tone service and how you made the connection (i.e., did you punch them down on the TDM's telephone company demarcation point or did you plug into one of the TDM's Cat-5e ports normally used for outbound distribution?).

Then, its important to know which telephone lines are connected within the TDM to a specific TDM port into which you are inserting a Cat-5e patch cord which is then plugged into a VDM port for a specific wall outlet. Also, its important to know what type of wire (Cat-5e or 2 or 4 wire telephone handset cord) is used to connect between the Cat-5e wall outlet and your telephone handset and which of the wires are carrying your LIne-1 and Line-2 services. Then, its important to know for your non-OOMA telephone equipment whether they are one or two-line telephones and if two-line what the telephone line switch settings are set at (i.e., line-1, line-2 or lines-1&2).
#91722 by rmeden
Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Cyberchat, I suspect you hit the nail on the head. We'll see what msrandles has to say..

I'll explain Cyberchat's solution a little differently. (nice catch!)

Ethernet CAT 5 cable is wired something like this (from memory, don't shoot me)
Code: Select all    Network
___  _____  __
| | | ___ | | |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

3,6 twisted together

10baseT was *designed* to carry 2 voice lines along with data on wires 4,5 and 3,6 (notice that tip/ring are twisted together). It's not very commonly done this way and may not be permitted in later, higher speed network versions.

If you are using say 1,2 for line A and 7,8 for line B those two lines are twisted together (they are normally TX data and RX data for network) I can see AC ringing voltage carry from line A to B like a transformer! Keep in mind that those twists may exist in your cabling as well as your panel itself.

I suggest you always use 4,5 and 3,6 for your phone lines, that way you can use a 2-wire (l1 line) or 4-wire (2 line) RJ11 cable/connector in your RJ45 jack.

Robert