Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#90607 by DawnW
Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:58 am
and able to use Ooma successfully?

We got a new iMac in August and our computer was acting up. By accident, we unplugged Ooma and our computer is now working perfectly.

Apparently Lion and Ooma aren't playing nicely together.

Now, I know this is a Lion issue and not Ooma, but if anyone else has successfully gotten Lion to work well while Ooma is plugged in, please help!

I currently just have Ooma unplugged and check online daily for any missed calls or messages. Then I use my cell to call them back.

Dawn
#90608 by murphy
Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:14 am
I use a MacBook Air with Lion on a daily basis and have no problems.
My Telo and my Hub are connected to the LAN side of my router.
#90888 by cmpadilla2
Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:22 pm
I have a 17" macbook pro with lion and have no problems, I use my laptop every day for many hours and it works flawlessly. I have the ooma hub that is connected to LAN. I don't know what is going on with your setup but I don't think you can blame Lion.
#90899 by frenchcamp49er
Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:26 pm
I have several running Lion with no problem. Here is my setup:

Modem to ooma to router

My Mac Pro is wired to the router and I have two others that connect via wifi.
#91169 by DawnW
Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:21 am
Thanks. Hopefully Lion will have an update that will fix this.

I made the kids plug in the Ooma while I was gone one day (oldest misplaced the cell phone and it is dead so we can't call it to find it! grrrr)

Anyway, it was plugged in and the kids complained that their online game was sputtering and not working well at all. When I got home we unplugged Ooma again and it worked perfectly again.

Those of you with Lion, can you stream movies and longer video without an issue? On the Apple forum there are now almost 100 pages of complaints similar to mine, although many of them are having problems even without Ooma.

Dawn
#91217 by Davesworld
Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:36 pm
One of the worst things about having the Ooma between the modem and router is that you are trying to traverse two NAT's. In networking, double natting is considered evil and is to be avoided at all costs. Your firewall/router should NEVER have lan class address on it's wan port. Basically 192.168.x.x and 10.10.x.x are reserved for lan and are simply not allowed on the internet itself and are blocked by IANA. The WAN port on your firewall/router should have an address reachable from the internet itself, IE, sitting on the internet directly. Double natting can easily be the culprit.

Another issue is that the Ooma devices do not have the power to pass traffic through them at anything more than a fraction of line (100mbs) speed. The only time having the Ooma connected directly to the modem makes any sense is if you have only one computer with no router.

You will hear some arguments about QOS by having the Ooma in front of the router but this is assuming the QOS method used by Ooma is very well executed in the first place. Many router/firewalls have decent QOS built in.

I've seen some folks that had issue with voice lag draw straws out of desperation and wishful thinking and hook the Ooma device between the modem and router but it isn't going to make 2 milliseconds difference. The lag they are/were experiencing is more like 700 to 1000 milliseconds and cannot be solved anywhere in the user's premises since it is caused by call routing beyond Ooma's servers.

Put the Ooma behind the router and let it use it's power for VOIP only, it might just make the Ooma device run cooler and last longer.
#97029 by DawnW
Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:06 pm
Just bumping. I finally just unplugged it completely.

I get my messages online but just use my cell most of the time and upped my minutes with the cell company.

We just couldn't get it to work.

We plug everything into the router. Modem to router, then computers to router and ooma to router. We don't pass through the router the way Ooma suggests. It never worked well that way.

We also upgraded our router this week and I was hopeful that maybe that would work better, but it doesn't seem to. :cry:

Dawn
#97030 by thunderbird
Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:28 pm
DawnW wrote:Just bumping. I finally just unplugged it completely.

I get my messages online but just use my cell most of the time and upped my minutes with the cell company.

We just couldn't get it to work.

We plug everything into the router. Modem to router, then computers to router and ooma to router. We don't pass through the router the way Ooma suggests. It never worked well that way.

We also upgraded our router this week and I was hopeful that maybe that would work better, but it doesn't seem to. :cry:

Dawn

First connect Modem-Router-Ooma:
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device.
Next Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to Zero. Click on Update.
Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#97031 by Gurdick
Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:33 pm
I am running 2 iMac's and 2 iPad's, the iMac's are running Lion. Also have a Roku and WD Live Media Hub doing streaming video. My setup is Modem - Router - Ooma. No problems live streaming or with voice quality. I am running FIOS 25/25. Both computers, the Roku and the WD Live are wired to the router. Wi-Fi definitely decreases over distance.