Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#90477 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:00 am
Cut-Throat wrote:I have some CaT3 Cable next to my Ooma. Would I be better off using this instead of Wireless, in terms of Sound Quality and Stability?

Cat 3 Cable is phone wire. Did you mean Cat 5 network cable or Cat 5 network cable?

If you are talking about the phone wires, I use both the Cordless phones and Corded phones with equal success. For use it's just easier to use the cordless phones because you can pick up the cordless phone and walk around.
#90486 by Cut-Throat
Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:49 am
thunderbird wrote:
Cut-Throat wrote:I have some CaT3 Cable next to my Ooma. Would I be better off using this instead of Wireless, in terms of Sound Quality and Stability?

Cat 3 Cable is phone wire. Did you mean Cat 5 network cable or Cat 5 network cable?

If you are talking about the phone wires, I use both the Cordless phones and Corded phones with equal success. For use it's just easier to use the cordless phones because you can pick up the cordless phone and walk around.

No, I mean CAT3 cable, which is phone wire, but it is also network wire with speeds limited to 10MPBS. It was used before CAT5 for networks.

EDIT ---------------
BTW --- I have this hooked up and it seems to work fine. I was just wondering if there was a 'Cable expert' Out there that could weigh in on the benefits (If any) of wired vs. wireless in terms of sound quality. And how CAT3 would compare with CAT5 as far as the Ooma is concerned.
#90496 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:25 pm

It still isn't clear what you are using Cat 3 cable for.

Are you using the Cat 3 Cable to carry the Internet signal from your Internet provider, to the Ooma Telo Internet port?

Or are you using the Cat 3 cable for a phone connection from your Ooma Telo Phone port to a phone?

The Ooma Telo can obtain an Internet signal and be "hard wired" using an network cable connected to the Ooma Telo Internet port, or the Ooma Telo can receive it's Internet signal from a Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle adpater. When you use the term Wireless, do you mean the Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle adpater connection?
#90497 by Cut-Throat
Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:41 pm
thunderbird wrote:It still isn't clear what you are using Cat 3 cable for.

Are you using the Cat 3 Cable to carry the Internet signal from your Internet provider, to the Ooma Telo Internet port?

Or are you using the Cat 3 cable for a phone connection from your Ooma Telo Phone port to a phone?

The Ooma Telo can obtain an Internet signal and be "hard wired" using an network cable connected to the Ooma Telo Internet port, or the Ooma Telo can receive it's Internet signal from a Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle adpater. When you use the term Wireless, do you mean the Wireless Wi-Fi USB dongle adpater connection?

Sorry, I'm using the CAT3 cable to carry the internet Signal to the Ooma Internet Port.
#90498 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:21 pm

View the following links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_3_cable
Quote: "(Cat 3 Cable) It may be used for 10BASE-T Ethernet, token ring, or ATM25 networks. The seldom used 100BASE-T4 standard, which achieves speeds of 100 Mbit/s by using all 4 pairs of wires, allowed older Cat 3 based infrastructures to achieve a much higher bandwidth". End of Quote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable
Quote: "Category 5 cabling is most commonly used for faster Ethernet networks, such as 100BASE-TX and 1000BASE-T".
End of Quote.

You will note that Cat 5 cable is designed for higher speeds and better performance, as compared to Cat 3.

To answer your question, using Wireless for your Internet connection would probably perform much better then using Cat 3 cable for your Internet connection. Comparing Cat 5 or Cat 6 cable carrying the Internet signal, to Wireless carrying the Internet signal for the Ooma device, the outcome would probably be about the same.

Any more, almost no one uses Cat 3 cable to carry Internet signals, except for old design, slow system devices.

When you can find the time, I'd replace any Cat 3 cable carrying an Internet or LAN signal in your home, with Cat 5E or Cat 6 cable.
#90500 by tommies
Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:45 pm

Yes, for this situation, CAT3 cable for ooma telo is better than wireless, assuming that your CAT3 cable is in good condition.

CAT3 bandwidth: 10Mbit/s
Wireless bandwidth: 802.11b 11Mb/s [g 54Mb/s] [n >100Mb/s]

Telo needed bandwidth: ~90Kb/s, so CAT3 is perfectly fine (even though it's slower than 802.11b) and no interference like wireless counterpart.
#90502 by Cut-Throat
Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:38 pm
thunderbird wrote:When you can find the time, I'd replace any Cat 3 cable carrying an Internet or LAN signal in your home, with Cat 5E or Cat 6 cable.

The CAT3 was used for the phone and inside the walls, so it's not a matter of time, it's just that's it's almost impossible without destroying the house.
#90504 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:17 pm
Cut-Throat wrote:
thunderbird wrote:When you can find the time, I'd replace any Cat 3 cable carrying an Internet or LAN signal in your home, with Cat 5E or Cat 6 cable.

The CAT3 was used for the phone and inside the walls, so it's not a matter of time, it's just that's it's almost impossible without destroying the house.

I know what you are talking about. Last year I installed 100% shielded Cat 6 cables in my walls from several rooms on the main floor of our home, through the attic, and to a small basement office. It took quite a bit of time and effort, but now I'm glad I did it.

If the Cat 3 cable is working fine for you, and you don't have any equipment that needs a little higher speed or stability, keep using the Cat 3. Of coarse the problem of routing new cables through the walls is another reason to use wireless 802.11n Wi-Fi, which is working fine for me, without any interference from anything. (When using a wireless device, you can get interference from other electronic or wireless devices, usually if placed to close together. But the same can be said that you can get interference from running network cables that aren't 100% shielded, to close to the home's house wiring electrical cables.) I am operating two Ooma Telos side by side. One uses the Wi-Fi Internet connection, and the other uses the wired Cat 6 100% Shielded cable Internet connection. They both have identical operating behaviors. My router is setup on the main floor and I have each of my computers setup to use either Wi-Fi Internet connection, or a wired network cable connection for the computer's Internet connection. I select which Internet connection, Wi-Fi or Wired Network, to use at the time through My Network Places. I see little difference between using Wi-Fi, or a wired network cable, for the operation of each of my computers.
#90508 by Cut-Throat
Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:05 am
Actually when I had the house built 14 years ago, I had CAT5e installed throughout the house. But, where I want my phone to reside I only had CAT3 for the telephone. Now that I got rid of the phone, I am just putting the existing CAT3 wire to use.