Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#90380 by jafriede
Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:51 pm
This is more of an informational question than a problem. First off, My DSL and POTS accounts were separated prior to porting and on two separate wire pairs. I have one phone still connected to the POTS (Ooma is isolated from this). Porting happened today and was successful.
Out of curiosity, I made a call from my POTS phone to my cell phone and the caller ID shows the number that was ported to Ooma. If Ooma "owns" the number now, how is it still being reported by my landline carrier (Qwest)? Of course I plan on cancelling my landline but I am just curious about this.
#90382 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:28 pm
jafriede wrote:This is more of an informational question than a problem. First off, My DSL and POTS accounts were separated prior to porting and on two separate wire pairs. I have one phone still connected to the POTS (Ooma is isolated from this). Porting happened today and was successful.
Out of curiosity, I made a call from my POTS phone to my cell phone and the caller ID shows the number that was ported to Ooma. If Ooma "owns" the number now, how is it still being reported by my landline carrier (Qwest)? Of course I plan on cancelling my landline but I am just curious about this.

I believe the same idea applies:

"When I call someone else they tell me they don't see my name! What's going on?
Ooma updates a national caller-ID database with your name and number when you activate your service. Some phone companies will only periodically update their database, so if your name does not show up when another person receives a phone call form you, it could be that the phone company delivering the call to the other person has not been updated yet".

From https://www.ooma.com/app/support/caller-id-ooma
#90390 by lbmofo
Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:10 pm
Porting is complete when you receive calls with the new service provider. Outgoing calls with your number on the old sevice provider can exist for a short duration; this is normal. If it goes on for more than a day or 2, call them to make sure they close out your service.