Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#89850 by George Cole
Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:56 am
I'm the proud owner of a Canon MX870 printer/copier/fax/ and everything else in the known free world. My ooma telo, MX 870 and at&t uverse are all hooked together looking like a explosion in a noodle factory.

Here is my problem, Cant send or receive fax even using *99. Hooked up wrong ? Can someone help me hook it up correctly?

This is what I hope to do. Dedicate my second line (premier) for fax only. On this second line I do not want the answer machine ( OOMA) to respond to incoming calls. just the fax machine ...Is this possible?

Next, when faxing on my "new" dedicated line what secret code, if any do I use beside the *99?

As you can tell technology has passes me by..

Thanks for all the assistance you have rendered in the past..

Best Regards,
George Cole
#89853 by EFlores
Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:48 am
It seems to be a problem that started since the release of the new version 50832, my faxing capabilities completely stop working for me. I am hoping that they are looking into this problems so that I can start faxing again.
#89872 by thunderbird
Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:32 pm
Since I hadn't used our Fax since firmware update 50832, I gave it a shot.

My Fax results were very intermittent and unreliable, even after trying all of the known tricks.

Probably the best advice I can give anyone is to contact Ooma Customer Support and report this problem:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#89911 by George Cole
Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:12 am
Thanks, is there a number I can fax to try a test fax? I was about to call customer service but I'm a little rusty with Tagalog.

Thanks again,
George
#89913 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:26 am
George Cole wrote:Thanks, is there a number I can fax to try a test fax? I was about to call customer service but I'm a little rusty with Tagalog.

Thanks again,
George

Try testing with the HP Fax test number: 1-888-473-2963
This number works with any Fax machine.
Within five minutes you will received a return Fax from the HP Fax Test number.
#90842 by Frankjake
Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:33 am
Faxing with Ooma is the worst! I wish I would have did some more research before buying an Ooma. I've had other VOIP services in the past from other phone companies and never had these issues. In reading more, it seems "they" don't guarantee reliable faxing over VOIP. In this day and age, "they" cant get these two technologies to work together? Very disapointing.

I will say that I have been able to get faxing to work, well at least sending faxes. I have to send about 10 faxes a day. And now it takes 3 to 4 times as long to do this. Sometimes I just have to keep re-dialing the number I'm trying to fax to. It ALWAYS answers, but will not always go through. Most of the time it will just hang up with an error and without sending any pages at all.

And yes I've done all the "tricks" that are listed except putting Ooma into FAX MODE which was suggested on one website. It suggest to go to PREFERENCES, then TELEPHONE NUMBERS and put the number into fax mode. But there doesn't seem to be any way to do this. Maybe that was an old trick that is no longer in use.

My Ooma Telo is only a few weeks old, purchased from Costco, connected directly to my 30+mb download and 3+upload internet connection. I see some have mentioned faxing stopped after an upgrade, I assume I must have that upgrade since my equipment is new (firmware upgrade?).

Anyway, in hours of reading and searching, it seems Ooma is NOT good for faxing. Again I wish I would have taken more time to research this. 3 or 4 of my friends suggested Ooma and have a fax connected and siad it wasn't perfect but it worked. For me, it's not working good at all. I have 2 weeks to take the Ooma back and try something different. Maybe it's time to ditch the fax, just scan my pages and email them. That just takes more time out of my busy day. :(

If anyone has any new tricks, please share! Thanks, Frank
#93061 by tmguchi
Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:24 pm
Just chatted with a CS rep and he suggested I try *98 instead of *99. I got a busy signal but maybe that would work for others. In the time it took me to try and fax my doc the first CS guy hung up with me so I tried another guy. He suggested trying without the *99. Didn't work either. Last suggestion he had was that I plug the fax machine directly into the Ooma box and call Customer Support. Don't really feel like lugging the fax machine right now but maybe later.
#93062 by thunderbird
Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:09 pm
Some recent fax machine threads:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=114&p=92972&hilit=Send+fax#p92972
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13304&p=92556&hilit=Send+fax#p92556
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=114&p=92455&hilit=Send+fax#p92455

My fax disn't work at all. Now if by magic, it is working fine without any prefixes, and with the DSL filter removed from the fax phone line to the fax machine. I did have to disable ECM (Error correction mode) in my fax machine .

I noticed that for the Ooma Telo, some people are having success with prefix *98. *99, *98 or *96 can be tried for faxing with the Ooma Telo.
*99 is the only prefix that will work with the Ooma Hub.
#93069 by tmguchi
Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:34 pm
Found this on their Fax FAQ: https://www.ooma.com/app/support/faxing-ooma

Background Information: Voice over IP (VoIP) and Fax Machines
A common question comes up - why are faxes not guaranteed reliable 100% of the time when using VoIP technology? The reason has to do with how faxing was originally developed. The faxing protocol was originally developed for regular landlines. Unlike IP networks which route VoIP, landlines are fairly lossless. This makes faxes less resilient to dropped packets and delay inherently present in all IP networks today. Ooma is currently looking into new ways to improve the reliability of faxing with the Ooma system, including use of the T.38 FoIP protocol.

Note: If you find a need for reliable faxing, we recommend that you keep a Landline for this purpose.