Got something else to discuss that is not covered by the previous forums? Post it here!
#89646 by zten
Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:09 pm
I have had several times in the last fee days where the Ooma gives a fast busy when you try get a dial tone and no internet on the computer. Rebooting the Ooma has fixed it, but once again, the wife is getting pissed. Is there something going on Ooma knows about and is planning to fix?
#89650 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:01 pm
zten wrote:I have had several times in the last fee days where the Ooma gives a fast busy when you try get a dial tone and no internet on the computer. Rebooting the Ooma has fixed it, but once again, the wife is getting pissed. Is there something going on Ooma knows about and is planning to fix?

First:
Do a reset of your Modem, reference your Modem User's Manual. Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed when the reset is being accomplished. Otherwise the reset won't take place.

Next:
Next do a factory reset of the Ooma Telo.
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

Next:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next:
Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.
#89655 by zten
Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 pm
wow. so don't take this the wrong way as it is very nice of you to offer help, but ARE YOU KIDDING ME? after 15 mos of use I now have to do this? This is so bizarre? why me?
#89656 by thunderbird
Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:41 pm
zten wrote:wow. so don't take this the wrong way as it is very nice of you to offer help, but ARE YOU KIDDING ME? after 15 mos of use I now have to do this? This is so bizarre? why me?

These are the things that usually fix the problem that you are having.

The second, third, and forth things are very easy to do.

The Modem reset can be a little more complicated, depending on the Model Modem that you have. But often the Modem is the problem, and a modem rest fixes the problem.

You could try one thing at a time, until you see continued improvement.
#89658 by tommies
Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:16 pm
zten wrote:I have had several times in the last fee days where the Ooma gives a fast busy when you try get a dial tone and no internet on the computer. Rebooting the Ooma has fixed it, but once again, the wife is getting pissed. Is there something going on Ooma knows about and is planning to fix?

In which way your ooma is set up? It's modem > ooma > router > [pc's]? If so, do you try modem > router > [ooma + pc's]?

I use modem > router > [ooma + pc's]. This way if ooma acts up, I can tell right away if it's ooma problem or isp/modem problem. My router is a cheap one--$20. at the time I bought it, and I had att dsl modem before, then comcast RCA modem with 2 line voip supported, and Motorola SB6120 now. Ooma generally is good for me.

Ooma is not perfect, but the last time my telo acted up, I think, was 5/6 months ago, and it lasted several days. Rebooting telo fixed it. During this time, I had to reboot the modem 3/4 times.

I think your problem maybe lied with the current firmware of your telo. You should call CS and ask for a newer firmware. You may have to ask for lever 2 support to do so. I have not call nor email CS for a long, long time, so YMMV.
#89719 by lc96
Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:11 am
I could not make outgoing calls last night all evening (fast busy after several seconds of quiet), but could receive incoming. I emailed customer service and got an email a couple of hours later and they said the problem was fixed, so must have been some kind of problem on their end.
#89725 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:50 am
lc96 wrote:I could not make outgoing calls last night all evening (fast busy after several seconds of quiet), but could receive incoming. I emailed customer service and got an email a couple of hours later and they said the problem was fixed, so must have been some kind of problem on their end.

Its great that you have your problem fixed. Thanks for the feedback becuase it will help others. :)
#89789 by zten
Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:00 pm
t-bird,
I have not tried any of the steps you gave, however now the last several days I have not had an issue either.
Thanks!
#89790 by thunderbird
Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:28 pm
zten wrote:t-bird,
I have not tried any of the steps you gave, however now the last several days I have not had an issue either.
Thanks!

In your case probably some one else had the same problem and called it into Ooma Support. Ooma Support probably made a mass change on their side which included you also. What ever, if you're not having problem anymore, great! :)
#91454 by zten
Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:36 am
I wanted to give an update. After my issues seemed to go away on their own, they came back on their own. Go figure! Last week finally I was getting frequent periods where the large ooma logo on the telo was flashing red and a fast busy with the handset. Especially aggravating was the fact that since I was hooked up Modem->telo->router->computer, whenever this happened I would get no internet on the computer, either. So I changed my setup to Modem->router->telo on port 1 and computer on port 2 so I could get my internet back and log into this forum so I could try the list of actions Thunderbird left for me back in November. Well, once I did that, and rebooted everything, my telo has been working without issues.

This is the less preferred installation. Does it make sense that this less preferred installation is giving me better results? Does the telo have some issue working directly with the modem as opposed to working with the router? I have comcast cable internet with a motorola modem.